Ancient Rites -Rvbicon

NephereX

New Metal Member
Aug 15, 2004
ANCIENT RITES - Rvbicon
Seasons Of Mist - CD2006

ancient_rites.jpg

I usually give cd's a spin or two in my stereo before reviewing them, but in all honesty, the new Ancient Rites album 'Rvbicon' hasn't left it for more than three days! Seldom have I heard black metal so inspired, so thoroughly created as the hordes of Gunther Theys have on this album. It's been 16 years since the band first saw the light of day, and they are far from extinct.They have grown to be the biggest black metal band in Belgium, not only because they consist of seven musicians but because they have pushed forward in their own way, which was the inspiration to the title of the album. The river, Rubicon, was crossed by Julius Caesar in 53 BC, knowing that this would have him face serious opposition and break the laws of the Roman Empire. Nevertheless, he continued in his own way, and Ancient Rites ask their listeners clearly to cross their own 'Rubicon'. My personal favourite on this album is "Thermopylae", referring to the war once fought there. It's the perfect combination of fast black metal and fine melodies with a sing-a-long chorus, believe it or not! Throughout the whole album, the keyboards are very present, yet not disturbing throughout the music. There is just a perfect balance between the instruments. Only "negative" point for me, is the accent in Gunther's English, but if that's the only lesser point to state, a band should be extremely happy.You don't have to be a fan of this band to appreciate this album, I believe, and every metalhead should at least give it a listen. It's an album we, Belgians, should be very proud of!

95/100

15,00 euro: info@nepherex.com

Banktransfer Europe: IBAN BE05 0014 5655 9575
BIC-CODE (SWIFT-CODE): GEBABEBB

NephereX
PO BOX 16
9280 LEBBEKE
BELGIUM