And now for another smoldering pile of shite...

I'm leaning toward "Shatner didn't take this that seriously, and rightfully so." Wylde, of course, did.

When I worked in radio, Zakk Wylde stopped by our station one time to play some acoustic songs live on the air. He was playing keyboard on one of them and he was absolutely smashed. He screwed up one part and then just quit in the middle of the song on live radio, cussed out his bandmates and stormed out of the room and went into the employee kitchen where he promptly passed out and threw up all over himself. When people in the office noticed the door to the kitchen was closed (it was NEVER EVER closed) with a sign on it reading DO NOT ENTER, they started joking around about Zakk Wylde coffee blocking them. It was funny.

Shatner "acts" about as well as Ozzy can "sing". I don't really see why anyone would think his vocals would be any better--or even as good as--than his acting. It sounds like he's just reading from a teleprompter that capitalizes every three words and uses multiple ellipses as usual.

This was depressing somehow.

And why do people dislike the new Opeth album so much? It isn't their (his) best album, but it's at least decent. Sort of...

CrackedKnäckebröd;9987423 said:
And why do people dislike the new Opeth album so much? It isn't their (his) best album, but it's at least decent. Sort of...

Because the band will be losing it's once unique identity for bland, more of the same prog. It was fine when they experimented with Damnation, since that seemed like some kind of "off album" where Mike had to get it out of his system. It's fine though. They still have a large enough back catalogue of good material.

not very dynamic either, it constantly feels like its building up to a heavy part that never comes, just more of the same clean opethian melodies. bleh.

I really do not like anything Zakk Wylde does. He seems like he has a giant ego, his playing is bothersome as fuck with a billion haromics, shredding the same scales over and over and just being overall completely boring. Not only that but someone I know basically emulates zakk wylde, has the same playing style, same gigantic ego and rockstar attitude yet without even the badass apperance (yet still thinking he's tough shit).

Zakk Wylde blows. He may be good at guitar, but he just does the same shit over and over instead of trying to innovate, work on his skill and do something fucking different for once. I'm sure he can do something other than pentatonic shredding so why doesn't he just fucking do it? I've seen some young guitar videos where he was at least semi interesting but this shit is beyond lame and the fact that he's considered a guitar god is an abomination when any fucktard can learn the same scale and play it over and over again.

Gilbert, Satriani, Vai, Dimebag, Becker, Friedman (sp?); these are guitar gods (and amazing musicians) in one way or another and Zakk Wylde does not deserve to be even considered close to them. The fact that he's influenced a generation of kids who think shredding, soloing, doing the same things over and over and being a rockstar are the most important things at the expense of sheer love for music, songwriting, innovation and being humble and unique should also be punishable by shame.

i thought innovating was bad like when they said that thing in the other thread about liturgy.

innovation is great (unless you suck), but that does make it cease to be the thing it was. in liturgy's case the 'it' is black metal. and they suck.

I really do not like anything Zakk Wylde does. He seems like he has a giant ego, his playing is bothersome as fuck with a billion haromics, shredding the same scales over and over and just being overall completely boring. Not only that but someone I know basically emulates zakk wylde, has the same playing style, same gigantic ego and rockstar attitude yet without even the badass apperance (yet still thinking he's tough shit).

Zakk Wylde blows. He may be good at guitar, but he just does the same shit over and over instead of trying to innovate, work on his skill and do something fucking different for once. I'm sure he can do something other than pentatonic shredding so why doesn't he just fucking do it? I've seen some young guitar videos where he was at least semi interesting but this shit is beyond lame and the fact that he's considered a guitar god is an abomination when any fucktard can learn the same scale and play it over and over again.

Gilbert, Satriani, Vai, Dimebag, Becker, Friedman (sp?); these are guitar gods (and amazing musicians) in one way or another and Zakk Wylde does not deserve to be even considered close to them. The fact that he's influenced a generation of kids who think shredding, soloing, doing the same things over and over and being a rockstar are the most important things at the expense of sheer love for music, songwriting, innovation and being humble and unique should also be punishable by shame.

I absolutely agree. But I really dig his acoustic country chicken pickin' style he never plays anymore since his Pride and Glory days. What is more of an abomination is Alexi Laiho being considered a guitar god, and even Zakk Wylde calling him the next Randy Rhoads :lol:

I absolutely agree. But I really dig his acoustic country chicken pickin' style he never plays anymore since his Pride and Glory days. What is more of an abomination is Alexi Laiho being considered a guitar god, and even Zakk Wylde calling him the next Randy Rhoads :lol:

I really like CoB, Alexi's style and playing and I agree. He influenced my style a shitload (especially the phrasing, arpeggios etc) but he really is not a guitar god. He essentially created the genre that Kalmah, Norther and a bunch of other bands are in and he influenced a ton of guitarists, but still I would not say guitar god. He essentially does the pentatonic stuff, harmonic minor, lots of 5 string arpeggios with a tap at the end; all really basic things. When they're all combined sure they make a pretty good style, but he has not had the effect of say, Dimebag darrell by any means. I think it's just the popularity of CoB which is kinda lame combined with his age.

I'll give him that CoB have some great albums that really influenced/created a sub genre (commence flaming) and he is pretty skilled at shredding and music writing, but nowhere near enough to be considered a god since once you break it down, he has done the same thing solo wise since 1997 and his style is maybe only a little bit more varied than Zakk Wylde in terms of shredding and nothing like the versatility of the true guitar gods.

Dunno, I always thought Zakk started out as a Randy Rhroads wannabe, but thought he was very entertaining while with Ozzy. Never really liked much of his solo work after The Blessed Hellride. It all just sounds the same.

but he has not had the effect of say, Dimebag darrell by any means.

Who's that?

Just to sum up pretty much everyone's opinion in one sentence; I used to like Zakk Wylde... Then I turned 16.