Anders Nystrom vs. Alexi Laiho

Blakkheim said:
oh at the odeon, ohio... not really clean there either, had been shittin my pants again and if u look close at my pants u can see i pissed myself too, but the monitor dude was english speakin here and actually good at his job, so it worked.. my compliments...

I puked all over myself on stage once, didnt help me sing any better, just made my guitar look horrible

Blakkheim said:
ahh what show did u catch us at? oh wait, it must have been the one i shit my pants and i wanted to convey and mirror that murky feeling to my clean vocals....ahh... and oh... its boring to be in tune, out of tune is such a rollercoaster challenge! dont be afraid to try it...its really simple, u just get a really crappy monitor guy that doesnt speak english and yer set! woahh!

Yes, being a backing vocalist myself for a few years I can share your experiences.
Backing vocalist always have to sing damn high pitched stuff and that only on a few short parts every now and then and we always get a bad monitorsound. Sometimes nothing comes out of the damn speakers. At the end I used to use earpluggs and then I can hear myself in my head. Better than nothing...

I think Anders really rocks when he sings, er.. screams, the backing vocals of "Ghost of the Sun", well this is one of my fave parts of the song too!

Of course in this case it's difficult to scream out of tune ( I'd say better "impossible", but I guess there are people who can manage to scream out of tune....)

Anyways, I can't complain about his backing vocals, it's true that many times the sound is low or confused and you can't hear much of them...but Anders plays with such an energy and passion that the last thing I could care for is if he strikes or not the right note while doing backing vocals!

Coming back to the thread...well Alexi and Anders are like apples and oranges...in any case if you dind't know none of them and you had to judge from their appearance, a photo for example, no doubt that Anders would beat him even in this case...
Alexi=:yuk:
Anders=:oops:

Blakkheim said:
oh at the odeon, ohio... not really clean there either, had been shittin my pants again and if u look close at my pants u can see i pissed myself too, but the monitor dude was english speakin here and actually good at his job, so it worked.. my compliments...

I dont drink or do drugs anymore(hence I wasnt so wasted it just seemed good).....and I have a copy of that show....I watch it from time to time......I loved that show either way......shit Anders I thought you had pissed your pants because you saw my collection of Katatonia stuff......now I find out it was just frustration piss........oh well, I will have to really beef up my collection before next we meet...although Im running out of stuff to get..... ;)

Surprising as it may seem, but I am trained as an opera singer, specifically a bass-baritone. And during one performance of Verdi's Rigoletto, I farted a nasty demon which spread faster than light itself. Soon the stage was consumed with my stench, and laughter began to appear among the chorus. I was so embarassed, but finished my performance in top-notch form simply because I was trying so hard to just be focused only on my lines; thusly eliminating my acknowledgement of the reeking armageddon I birthed. So I guess the lesson is to drink dark beer and mexican food the night before a show, and fart like a gunslinger.

Mr.Black I was talking about the Summer Breeze gig :p
So maybe we go with the crappy monitor guy........although iam still sad that you havent played "we must bury you" ;)

Lord_AgathoN said:
Mr.Black I was talking about the Summer Breeze gig :p
So maybe we go with the crappy monitor guy........although iam still sad that you havent played "we must bury you" ;)

i should have buried the monitor guy. i dont think mine were even on.
festivals are such chaoz. 5 minz til playin time and u dont even know what amp yer gunna use.... loved that show tho... breeze...

Blakkheim said:
i should have buried the monitor guy. i dont think mine were even on.
festivals are such chaoz. 5 minz til playin time and u dont even know what amp yer gunna use.... loved that show tho... breeze...

Yup i can relate to that, no major Festivals here, but i really can relate to the fact of not beign able to hear yourself.. it sucks... REALLY SUCKS....

ok back on track.. yeah Anders rules alexi, but the fact is that they do a lot of different stuff from eachother, so i guess this comparision isnt really accurate to begin with....

I guess a right VS thread will be, Anders vs Mikael arkefeldt or something like that... what do you think?

season1234 said:
the one and single area that Alexi tops Anders is his technical ability, which is meaningless as his riffs lack soul and emotion......shredders are only for musician geeks unless they have feeling, something people like Alexi, Steve Vai, etc totally lack. who cares how fast you can play if you don't have emotion in your music? I can appreciate their ability on the guitar but Anders simply destroys these other guitarists on songwriting talent alone.

I'm not going to defend Alexi in the emotional/feeling department but...have you ever heard 'For the Love of God' by Steve Vai? My god that man can infuse emotion into his playing. Give it a listen if you haven't already.

OOOOOOOOOH FUCK YES! I saw him alive last year, and I almost died when he played it, it was fucking awesome.

Jon Snow said:
I'm not going to defend Alexi in the emotional/feeling department but...have you ever heard 'For the Love of God' by Steve Vai? My god that man can infuse emotion into his playing. Give it a listen if you haven't already.

Luz said:
OOOOOOOOOH FUCK YES! I saw him alive last year, and I almost died when he played it, it was fucking awesome.

I'm glad to see that someone agrees.

Not considering genres, I think the greatest emotional guitarist live was Stevie Ray Vaughan. Has anyone seen clips of him playing live? It's like he was pouring his soul into the guitar.

I definitely agree with the OP too. I like Anders a lot more than Alexi.

Luz said:
^I haven't heard of him although I knew he was pretty respected by the rest.
Also, I'd love to listen to him.
Do you have any link where I can find some of his stuff, Jon?

I don't know of any links but I'm sure they're out there. I'll see if I can find anything.