Andy Classen

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
Anyone into his productions?

seems like he's not getting mentioned a whole lot (almost never actually lol) over here, i wonder why that is? after all he's done quite a lot of stuff, with dew scented, belphegor, krisiun, and legion of the damned being the best known out of the bunch i'd assume.

complete discography: http://stage-one-studio.com/de/discography/

FWIW, i really enjoy most of his stuff. sure, he's notoriously over-mastering things a.k.a. smashing the FUCK out of his mixes, but the mixes themselves sound pretty rad to me.
sure, he's not the kinda guy that would fit a opeth/katatonia or whatever album, so anyone looking for subtleties and textures better look elsewhere. what i like about his stuff is that it's just so friggin BRUTAL....immense impact, really. zero dynamics, hits you right in the chest all the time...which is a great thing for some styles of music as far as i am concerned. really punchy drums, and very guitar centered mixes.

from what i've heared so far he's a big fan of the sansamp psa-1....a couple of years back he usually went for 2 tracks sansamp, and 2 tracks of whatever amp the band would bring in. don't know what he's doing now though.
i'm willing to bet that he's also using the psa a great deal for bass guitar.
as far as mastering goes i think he's using the finalizer a lot, but then again, the only thing that's well known about his mastering is that he's completely nuts as far as loudness is concerned lol.

so, anyone into it?

Love what he did with Dew-Scented! Especially on "Inwards"... Talking about the mix here. Sadly, his mastering tends to be borderline tolerable.

He´s a funny guy to work with. I recorded an album at Stage one and he also mixed the following of my old band (R.I.P.).
Funny enough that the second album we recorded ourselves (with a crappy Behringer 24 buss....) sounds much better than the one we recorded completely at his studio.
He´s really talented and I like his sound but as you said in his mixes he can only have ON or OFF. :)
For certain bands it really fits but if you need dynamics and stuff like that he´s not the guy to do it.

I looking for know what Andy (Claysen) use yesterday and wow, really poor gear list:lol:
I love some of this mix but too bad to hear how he destroy last Krisiun album:puke:

well, as i said, the mastering really is nothing to drool all over, but imho the mixes really kick ass!
my personal faves would be either issue VI/impact (both dew scented), or legion of the damned feel the blade.
belphegor bondage goat zombie also sounds rad.

my ex band actually tracked 3 albums with him, maybe i'll talk to the guys about the stuff he at least used to use back then :)

Ryker's is the shit:headbang:
Love the ground zero album!!
I'm really digging the drum sound and the bass guitar sound on that record

no, he only tracked incinerate (their latest), which was later on mixed by andy sneap.
pretty much everything before that was done by andy classen.

well, as i said, the mastering really is nothing to drool all over, but imho the mixes really kick ass!
my personal faves would be either issue VI/impact (both dew scented), or legion of the damned feel the blade.
belphegor bondage goat zombie also sounds rad.

my ex band actually tracked 3 albums with him, maybe i'll talk to the guys about the stuff he at least used to use back then :)

You were in Ryker's ?

By the way i dig Classen's work on Dew Scented's "Impact", the Krisiun albums and the Belphegor albums.