Andy Sneap Update......Testament To Record In February?

Deadly Embrace said:
In the vein of The Gathering........
noooooooooooo......... I seriously hope it's not gonna be The Gathering Part 2, otherwise I'll pass...

I'd be more than happy if Testament's new album will be OLD-SCHOOL SPEED/THRASH METAL
metal.gif
metal.gif
metal.gif
metal.gif
metal.gif
in the vein of first 4 albums, with the well-balanced vocals and where growls don't dominate. :D

Testament Legions said:
And what is wrong with "The Gathering?"
Well, first of all, it is overrated. By that I mean, what the hell is wrong with all of these ppl saying that The Gathering is absolutely the best Testament album ever and it beats the shit out of their previous albums??? Some of them even want the next album to be The Gathering Part 2 and they want more growls as well. If they're death metal fans, I understand why they want more growls. But since Testament is NOT a death metal band, they should just stick to DEMONIC damnit!
oldmad.gif

I don't mind some ocasional growls in the right places, as long as it's balanced (ex. Low). But I'm not up for a Testament album full of death growls. That's what DEMONIC was for
oldmad.gif

Chuck has a good singing voice, as can be seen on THE RITUAL, and he should use it more often! :)

Also the album has a lot of modern influences and most of it can be compared to modern shit like Arch Enemy, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, The Crown than the actual thrash bands like Forbidden or Annihilator.

There are 3 good songs on this album that I don't mind, which are D.N.R., Down For Life, and True Believer. I like some riffs (ex. Riding The Snake intro riff) and solos (ex. Fall Of The Sipledome solo in the middle) in the rest of the songs, but I don't like the songs themselves.

midlife crisis said:
Well, first of all, it is overrated.

Overrated?!?! Perhaps in your opinion.

I never thought of "The Gathering" as a death metal album - Chuck's voice on that effort is waaay more dynamic than say... Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse type vocals.

Granted, the vocals are "heavier" than some of the older stuff you mentioned... but "death metal?" Naaah.

New album being Gathering part two? heh - I wouldn't mind THAT AT ALL!!!!:hotjump: Actually TG is amongst my 3 fav Testament albums - the others are TNO and FSSD'01

well the only problem i got is that it's hard for me to decide which production i like better - TG or FSSD'01.

TG is sooopowerfull, it crushes, it's riffage and drums record, Chuck's voacl sounds excelent there and the only minus is that i can hardly hear Hippie there..

FSSD on the other hand is more balanced, i can hear all the instruments clearly - i am going crazy recently over the sound of it...

i think my pick for the new one would be FSSD production....

Testament Legions said:
Overrated?!?! Perhaps in your opinion.
well yeah it's just my opinion. It's the same thing with Nevermore - Dead Heart In Dead World. A lot of ppl say it's absolutely their best album and they completely ignore their previous albums.
oldmad.gif

I never thought of "The Gathering" as a death metal album - Chuck's voice on that effort is waaay more dynamic than say... Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse type vocals.
I didn't imply that The Gathering was a death metal album. I was just saying that ppl who want MORE death growls on a Testament album should just stick to DEMONIC.

soulflypl said:
FSSD on the other hand is more balanced, i can hear all the instruments clearly - i am going crazy recently over the sound of it...

i think my pick for the new one would be FSSD production....
FSSD indeed smokes. ----->
OldMetal.gif
<-----

This is how The Gathering should've sounded like! Yeah
I know this is just an album of old re-recorded songs, but it still shows how Testament should have done MODERN THRASH!
banger.gif
banger.gif
banger.gif

Pyrus said:
Er, yeah. Gathering rules, but I wouldn't mind a more traditional thrash sound blended in.

I second that. The Gathering is one of my favorite albums of all time and a highlight for Testament, but they did push their sound very close to death metal. The sound they acheived on First Strike Still Deadly was in my opinion the perfect balance of thrashiness and the aggression of death metal without being death metal.

The Gathering was almost perfect (musical and production-wise). But I'm the last one to expect part two. Testament has always been creative and inventive enough to come up with something new with each release and would always surprise in this way or another. Blending many styles and incorporating various elements to their music, they've become perhaps the most diverse (is that the word?) of all metal bands. They would try many styles and achieve perfection in each, never copying themselves or anyone else. I believe that this (apart from their tremendous skills) is the main factor that makes TestAmenT so unique. I'm pretty sure that also this time it will be something different than the previous album. Of course, still Thrash and presumably along the lines of TG, but not too similiar- maybe combining some elements of everything they've done before. They're a mature band that's still developing and can't repeat the albums (like so many other bands do). I'm waiting for TestAmenT to surprise me again...and I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen :)

As for the production, I'm all the way for TG-type production (even despite the low audibility of SDG's bassplaying), cause FSSD was a little overproduced (in my opinion) and was too perfect, which sounds synthetic from time to time (if you understand what I mean)