Angra: Ømni

Not bad. Not great, not terrible..... I will say that I really hate lyric videos, as normally I tune out lyrics except for the chorus, but when it's flashing in front of you it's easy to see how cheesy some of them are..... This is a perfect example.

Also, why is Rafael still singing in parts? His voice is not a good fit......

Some more detail here...
ANGRA TO RELEASE ØMNI ALBUM IN FEBRUARY; "TRAVELERS OF TIME" LYRIC VIDEO STREAMING

"...ØMNI is a concept album, a set of science fiction short stories that take place at various places in time, simultaneously. The backbone of the plot is based on the idea that in 2046 an artificial intelligence system will change human perception and cognition. It is a system which will allow conscious communication between present and future human beings. Characters such as time travellers, cavemen, warriors, among others, help tell this story.
The album connects the concepts of previous albums (Holy Land, Rebirth, Temple of Shadows) to one main system, ØMNI, which in Latin means "everything." ØMNI fabricates an interconnectivity that shines light towards a universal truth: everything that has happened, led to what the band is today. ØMNI celebrates and unites the whole history of Angra to this exact, current moment...."

angracddec.jpg

Not sold on the lyric video yet but will definitely give the album a listen when it comes out.

I'm getting a "The Astonishing" vibe about this, and not in a good way. Angra & sci-if is just a bad idea

I've listened to the new album a few times and while I don't dislike it I'm not sold on it yet either.

It's better than I expected, but only because my expectations were so low. With Kiko's departure, and with the two songs I first heard, I expected a very straightforward power metal album that sounds like everything else Fabio does. I was actually surprised to hear a bit more diversity in the songs, and the initial singles are probably two of the weakest on the album.

All that being said, to Larry's point, this is definitely not the Angra I know and love, and has not been for a LONG time. Honestly, with the guest vocals and Rafael singing leads on a couple songs, the last couple albums don't even feel like a real BAND anymore..... It's more like a glorified solo project.

It's very sad, given how high they were for the first five albums, to see how far they have fallen. I know there's still a lot of people raving about this disc, and I'm glad they enjoy what Angra is doing now, but sadly..... I just see a very empty shell of what could have been.