Angra - Aurora Consurgens

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Angra - Aurora Consurgens
SPVUSA - SPV80001063 - Oct. 24th, 2006
By Brandon Strader

Angra-AuroraConsurgens.jpg

Angra is back with the follow up to last year's Temple Of Shadows, entitled Aurora Consurgens. According to Soundscan, it has only sold 400~ copies in its first week of release, which is pretty sad considering the album totally slays. If you've never heard of Angra, then you've been missing out on one of the best power metal bands ever. If you're already a fan, you will not be disappointed with Aurora Consurgens. The band has come a long way, and they are getting better and better with each new album. I'm not sure if there are any tracks that would actually break through and become an Angra classic, but that is a task that would be difficult for even the best of new Angra tunes...

The album starts up with a pretty catchy tune called "The Course Of Nature", which was released as a 'virtual single' with the song and artwork downloadable on the internet. The song is pretty tame and has a more rocking vibe which makes it the ideal single, though it does have a pretty cool solo. The sound of Aurora Consurgens is like a mixture between Temple Of Shadows and the album that came before it, Rebirth. "The Voice Commanding You" starts with some awesomely fast guitar leads that eventually leads into epic power metal the way only Angra can do it. The song sounds like it could have fit in with the heavier power numbers of Temple Of Shadows. The melodies are very catchy, and those familiar vocals continue to reach soaring ranges most harmoniously. "Ego Painted Grey" is the stand-out 'golden egg' of the album. It starts out with some fantastic clean guitar performances and cool lyrics that builds ever higher, eventually introducing heavy guitars, and orchestral elements into what becomes the most epic track on Aurora Consurgens... And if there was to be any 'classic' introduced with this new album, it would definitely be "Ego Painted Grey".

Angra has been known to do some unusual tracks and covers in the past, but "Breaking Ties" is truly strange. It really doesn't fit into the band's style that much, and if a non-metal person (Muggle) heard this song, they would think it was some kind of zany Aerosmith tribute band or something. Angra isn't one of those bands that will easily slip into obscurity despite low album sales... Perhaps people just haven't heard of the new release yet. Well now you have, and it is definitely worth checking out and buying if you like power/prog metal. They are one of the few power/prog bands that has been around for so long and still continues to release fantastic material.

9/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Angra Website
Official SPV USA Website

I heard most of the album and was not impressed at all. I think Temple of Shadows was much better (which in my book wasn't great either).

9/10? I gave this a couple of spins and thought it was atrocious (at least compared to their last 2 or 3 releases)....guess I need to revisit and see what I'm missing.

On the first listen I wasn't crazy into it, but with every listen after that I love it more. Now, it is no where near as good as Temple of Shadows, but that album is probably one of the best Power/Prog metal albums.

On the first listen I wasn't crazy into it, but with every listen after that I love it more. Now, it is no where near as good as Temple of Shadows, but that album is probably one of the best Power/Prog metal albums.

Temple of Shadows is a 9/10. In that context, this album is a 5/10.

I honestly think this is an amazing album.

Very much different from Temple Of Shadows and tghat was a most excellent thing to do.
Step away from something so wonderful and unique with another album that is wonderful and unique.

Technically, I do no think that there are hardly any bands comparable to Angra on the power metal scene (this is personal and arguable though).

Im extremely disappointed in ANGRA the last two albums. They have turned from a catchy, talented band into a band focused on long drawn out compositions-which is very BORING. I dont like this band any longer, Its like their going backwards.

Im extremely disappointed in ANGRA the last two albums. They have turned from a catchy, talented band into a band focused on long drawn out compositions-which is very BORING. I dont like this band any longer, Its like their going backwards.

Catchy isn't everything. Catchy tunes often lack depth and are quickly forgotten after a short time. If you don't have the patience, that's fine, but I don't look for instant gratification in my music. Occasionally it can be enjoyable but I prefer to become absorbed in the music, letting it unfold over time. These guys are pretty damn good at that, although they do make some mistakes here and there (imo). I like to be able to listen to an album repeatedly for a good length of time and then after some time has passed come back to it again just to remember what it was like the first time and why I loved it so much.

This album is of fine quality, it is well mixed and very well played/written for the most part. I think the 9/10 rating is very fitting. The main issue I have is with the singer, who almost seems to be forcing certain styles; styles that don't really suit him; nor the music. But at times the effort pays off for him and he adds a welcomed touch to a few songs. I guess he's the Ace of their deck of kings. Besides, I know that it's hard to sing what other people have written for you; as he often does. So, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I heard most of the album and was not impressed at all. I think Temple of Shadows was much better (which in my book wasn't great either).
me thoughts, too

9/10? I gave this a couple of spins and thought it was atrocious (at least compared to their last 2 or 3 releases)....guess I need to revisit and see what I'm missing.
'atrocious' might be a tad too hard...but i was kinda shocked, too...when i listend to it in the store
i wasn't impressed by ToS either...but i listened to it recently...just to find out that it isn't that bad after all

this happens to me quite often:
i'm not impressed by an album...but when the following - even weaker - album is released...i say to myself that the 'old one' wasn't that bad after all :)

What bugs me with this one is that it feels "thrown together", as if there were tons of loose ends left to tie together. The first track works incredibly well, but while the other tracks all have loads of interesting aspects (some incredible technical skill for example) I don't get the feeling that i'm listening to anything that touches me. It doesn't feel meaningful and convincing at all but like you were listening to recordings of the musicians jamming together and trying ideas. I don't know if it's appropriate to call this a rushed album, but i just think it feels like they forgot something when they composed these songs. Maybe they just lacked inspiration and just went along anyway.

A thing they confirmed themselves was that this was a more "straightforward" album, (with which they hoped to gain more interest in America). If this is what they mean with straightforward im certainly not wishing they'll choose that path again with any future release.

A thing they confirmed themselves was that this was a more "straightforward" album, (with which they hoped to gain more interest in America).

Really? Wow. :lol: I didn't even think it was possible for a power metal band to sell out.

I definitely believe it was thrown together in a rush -- indeed, I was even surprised they were ready with new material so soon after Temple. This one just seemed to pop out of the blue.