Angra live in Costa Rica

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Well this is part 1 of the report on the Angra concert to be held (I hope) in a few hours.

Today one of the music stores here hold a sign hour with the band. It was far and even tho many people show off, luckily some bandmembers of a friend of mine who was going with me were in front of the row :saint:

Angra showed up over an hour and so late and just when they arrived the lights when off in the mall (which of course doesn't have backup power for all the places) due to a gigantic rainstorm (like thunder and lightning goddamn is so exciting . To make things a bit more uneasy the tour manager (a real asshole, which pissed everybody there) didn't allow to take pictures and the drummer wasn't there. Even with all those factors I managed to get four signatures in my "Temple Of Shadows" booklet (only one item per person allowed too :rolleyes: ). Edu is a gentleman extending his hand to shake yours before sign the rest were most like yeah, yeah, keep walking. Even so I congratulated Kiko on his new album, he seemed pleased.

In like 1.5 h I will leave for the concert I want to be couple of hours ahead to have a good place in the row, I hope it rains no more otherwise it's going to be hell to pay waiting to enter to the venue (close venue, open air street :p ).

I expect to have some pics there of my buddies and maybe the band, I don't know how the rules will be enforced regarding that o_O .

A full report by tomorrow for sure :D

NP: Hellhound - 'Rock Like Hell'

Planet Mall in Y Yoses Wyv?... wish i was there though i never listened to this band lol .... take some pics of some hot costa rican metal chicks.. i dont recall if i saw any last time i was there...

Planet Mall in Y Yoses Wyv?... quote]

Closed months ago. There are no venues anymore, so they improvised in a "new one" an old warehourse with very bad ventilation and too small.
OK, so the good, the bad and the ugly.

Good

Friends that share with you. A former co-worker and freind of mine and his wife shared with me and their friends (he plays in a local band too, being his bandmates) the front row of the gig :headbang: And Angra delivered one hell fo show, old classics (they opened with 'Unfinished Allegro/Carry On', new stuff 'The Voice Commanding You' and a couple of covers for the encore 'Smoke On The Water' and 'Flight Of Icarus'). Fro SMOTW they all switch places, so Kiko was on drums, Edu and Felipe on guitars, Aquiles on bass bass, Ricardo on vocals, and they all kicked ass WAY better tha Helloween when did the same thing goofing at their concert, this was a firsct class rendition, and then they came for normal line-up for the Iron Maiden apotheosic finale :Smokin:

Edu adressed the audience in Spanish all the time, speaking very good and he won the people definitively wearing a Costa Rican flag somebody tossed as a cape for some minutes. The band very clean asked only for water and those energetic drinks (alcohol was forbidden in the premises for the audience) but they set an example and towards the end they tossed many botless to the audience for refreshing (besides, pick ups, drumsticks and a couple of Edu's metal wristrings).

Bad

Sound, not very good, the place (and old warehouse) is not designed for these ty pes of event and the sound team didn't or couldn't make a good sound, very bad on the vocalist although the rest of the inrstruments were very good, nevtehrless the rythm section was much louder and clear tha the guitars. The keys were balanced all the time and pretty well distinguishable.

Ugly

Organization. Doors were open at 20:00 when supposedly the gigs should start, they were doing sound check like an hour before and was downpouring, people had been for over 5 hours waiting in line an of course the security and organization people couldn't care a fuck about the customers (fans) because we ALL PAY FOR IT, wasn't a free gig.

Security. Bunch of fucktards bullies, they didn't care for the people pushing towards the front. We ask them to hep and they say whar do you want me to do to push 1000 people back? (I doubt we make a 1000 anyway). So I asked twice to go back and move the people from the rear, so we can all move back in order, they didn't give a shit. Moreover they smoked inside in front of us. Nobody else was smoking and the place has bad ventilation and they didn't set the example.

Asholes. It was a power metal concert with a prog metal band opening. You expect metalheads to behave orderly and respectfully. And yet you hear bunch of idiots screaming against the band, insulting the members of the opening act, shouting profanities, pushing the poeple and even one guy bodysurf slam over us suddenly (I by the way puch him in the balls with my spikes, he deserved it :heh: ). Security didn't did much either once we drop the idiot back in the middle of the crowd.

I was most of the time grabbing the front bar and acting as a shield for Jolin the wife of Carlos my fiends, otherwise she would have been crushed like a bug. I ended very ached and couldn't enjoy as much as I do, and sveral times I had to elbow hit a guy next to me who was infiltrating himself like a roach in a crave :mad:

No wonder promoters are tired to make concerts in here. One thing is a crowd in black/death gig and another at a power/prog one. No one did mosh or slam or anything at PPVII even in the floor isn't it? But here always the fucktards ruin everybody's else joy. They should check for IQ instead of weapons when you enter the place.

I can recall the whole setlist since I was most of the time working out against an uneducated crowd. But roughly (not necessarily in order) was 'Unfinished Allegro/Carry On', 'Rebirth', 'Nova 'Era', 'The Voice Commanding You', 'Ego Painted Grey', 'Nothing To Say', 'Wings Of Reality', 'Spread your Fire'. Encore: 'Smoke On The Water' and 'Flight Of Icarus'

IMG_0507.jpg

L-R: Carlos (my buddy), Ricardo (his guitar bandmate), Jolin (Carlo's wife and my friend too), Me, the girlfriend (can'r recall her name) of the next guy Esteban (drummer in Carlos band).

Couldn't take many pics, having the camera high up and standing the ground wasn't easy whith so many fucktards pushing around.

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Planet Mall closed down and out of business? :erk: wow i need to start visiting CR again lol i haven't been there since 2005...

As for all the problems at the metal shows in CR.. i think it's more because metal shows in CR are relatively new and so the fans try to act how they think fans in other countries in shows do... they probably think stage diving, moshing etc. are in all metal genres... as for the security, sound etc. I think what is needed is a more professional company/promoters to start up in CR.. because having metal shows in CR is a goldmine imo for the right company/promoter if done right... maybe someday i will start a music biz in CR and do it right... ;)

Great shots! Too bad it wasn't a better show than it was. Guess you'll just have to come back up here for PP! :lol:

Great shots! Too bad it wasn't a better show than it was. Guess you'll just have to come back up here for PP! :lol:

PPIX will be I promise guys, I need a seat to sleep again :saint: and hope Carnut and Hawk make it too, it's going to be the beastfest:headbang:

NP: Allen/Lande - 'Master Of Sorrow'

You mean the top part that was like a disco club closed right Wyv and not the Mall with the shops itself? ... I asked my sister about it when she called..

:lol:
You mean the top part that was like a disco club closed right Wyv and not the Mall with the shops itself? ... I asked my sister about it when she called..

Right. When the San Pedro Mall was built was intended to be the first of its kind in the country, to emulate some of ther small malls in USA and to acoomodate both shops and offices in the top floors.

Bad design, bad management and the grow of superior shopping places for the middle class (with car) like Multiplaza and Terramall made San Pedro a second rate place mostly for kids (hence mallcore :D) and people who can reach the place by bus.
The cinemas are not very good, neither the shops. The Planet Mall disco never lift off properly and then was transformed in a place for concerts, but without much revamping so is wasn't very adequate for the events. The mall administration decided is was too a big space for sporadically metal concerts and close the place to make more space for offices.

Call centers are the last fashion scream, and they only need seats, phones and Internet, so thay are plaguing lots of places. Also a couple of betting places were there and then close when the owners were "required" by the FBI :Smug: , many people became jobless and without a proper resume. I mean lots of young people with knowledge of English but not a career degree :ill:

Anyway, the main lost was the venue, the ret of the crappy place still stands on

NP: Dream Theater - 'The Ministry of Lost Souls'

Ah, I get annoyed by some people that tend to act "hardcore" at Metal gigs, they should learn to bang their heads instead of flying around all the time.
Sad the gig didn't turn out to be that good...

:lol:

Right. When the San Pedro Mall was built was intended to be the first of its kind in the country, to emulate some of ther small malls in USA and to acoomodate both shops and offices in the top floors.

Bad design, bad management and the grow of superior shopping places for the middle class (with car) like Multiplaza and Terramall made San Pedro a second rate place mostly for kids (hence mallcore :D) and people who can reach the place by bus.
The cinemas are not very good, neither the shops. The Planet Mall disco never lift off properly and then was transformed in a place for concerts, but without much revamping so is wasn't very adequate for the events. The mall administration decided is was too a big space for sporadically metal concerts and close the place to make more space for offices.

Call centers are the last fashion scream, and they only need seats, phones and Internet, so thay are plaguing lots of places. Also a couple of betting places were there and then close when the owners were "required" by the FBI :Smug: , many people became jobless and without a proper resume. I mean lots of young people with knowledge of English but not a career degree :ill:

Anyway, the main lost was the venue, the ret of the crappy place still stands on

NP: Dream Theater - 'The Ministry of Lost Souls'

Hey i like that mall.. especially the metal shop in the basement... :kickass: the CD's are a little expensive though... as for the betting place.. yah i know about it.... Betonsports.com ... kind of ticked that the U.S. is imposing their will in a country that is not their juristiction... I bet at a different gambling site based in CR though... betcris.com .

Hey i like that mall.. especially the metal shop in the basement... :kickass:

They have two more one downtonwn and one at Real Cariari mall...they all suck! Only extreme metal, mallcore or the albums that everybody already have. They took forever to bring the new stuff and like you mentioned it's expensive.

Next time you are here I will take you to a couple of other stores much better in quality and prices (still higher than USA). :saint: