Anneke van Giersbergen's new band VUUR (w/ Marcela Bovio)

flashburn

New Metal Member
Nov 1, 2015
Anneke finally announced her new band, VUUR:

Renowned Dutch vocalist Anneke van Giersbergen has announced the formation of a brand new band under the name of VUUR, created as a vehicle for the heavy progressive metal side of her career.

Look out for the first live announcements coming soon, with a debut full length due in the fall of 2017.

Anneke Van Giersbergen - lead vocals
Ed Warby - drums
Johan Van Stratum - bass
Ferry Duijsens - guitars
Marcela Bovio - vocals
Jord Otto - guitars

Here is some more detail for the Facebook-challenged:

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN - SOLD OUT FAN WEEKEND IN AMSTERDAM "WENT WAY BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS"

"...Anneke van Giersbergen has announced the formation of a brand new band under the name of VUUR, created as a vehicle for the heavy progressive metal side of her career. An introduction to VUUR can be seen via the video below.

In early 2016, Anneke decided for the sake of clarity to narrow her musical focus, choosing to go in a folk acoustic direction as a solo artist and in a heavy progressive metal direction as a band vocalist. The name VUUR - translated from Dutch as "fire", which can also be interpreted to mean "passion" or "drive" - was chosen as a moniker to represent Anneke's metal side, with the idea that when fans buy a ticket with the VUUR name on it they will be getting her heavy progressive music, while an Anneke van Giersbergen show will be entirely different. Thus, in order to give VUUR's kick-off the proper fanfare, Anneke has opted to take a break from performing in the first half of 2017.

"It's like I'm searching for contradictions," Anneke says of splitting her focus in two. "I want the heavy to be really heavy, and the soft acoustic stuff that I can do can be almost silent and inward. I'm trying to find those outer limits. I'm still writing and collaborating with different people, so VUUR's style is still kind of different from The Gathering and The Gentle Storm. You could say VUUR's music has the melancholy of The Gathering and lots of elements from The Gentle Storm, but it's a bit darker with fewer folk elements. It's still melodic and warm, but heavy."

Anneke comments: "The band has a different name, because the music will be slightly different from The Gentle Storm, but most band members are still involved and the music will be heavy too, so in that perspective not a lot will change, especially in the live situation. I think people will really embrace VUUR as a live band because there are nothing but stars in this band (laughs). They're some of the best heavy metal players in Holland so I didn't want to let them go."

Look out for the first live announcements coming soon, with a debut full length due in the fall of 2017..."

Marcela Bovio: "I'm Leaving VUUR"

"...With pain in my heart I regret to inform you that I have decided to leave VUUR. The past few months I’ve been working with Anneke the rest of the guys on what will be the band’s debut album, but it wasn’t until last week when we started the vocal recordings that Anneke and I realised that we both wanted to take very different directions when it came to the sound and approach of the vocals.
We looked for a way to make it work, a possible compromise perhaps; but the thought that one of us wouldn’t be entirely happy with the end result was unbearable. We’re afraid that we will regret this in the future and that it somehow will hurt our friendship; we respect each other too much to let that happen.
I’m truly devastated, because I’m a huge fan of Anneke and every single member of the band; they’re all incredibly sweet people, as well as top notch musicians. Plus, the songs are so fantastic… this is going to be a revolutionary album! But I have to follow my heart and choose for what I think in the future will bring me (and the rest of the band) happiness, no matter how hard it feels right now.
Anneke, Fer, Jord, Johan and Ed: you guys are THE BEST. I’d wish you luck but you don’t need it, you are going to ROCK this world..."

Sadness. They're such a great vocal pair. Oh well, at least they didn't try to force a result that makes no one happy.

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN'S VUUR LAUNCH ALBUM CONTEST; FURTHER LIVE DATES ANNOUNCED

"...Anneke van Giersbergen's VUUR has announced the release of their debut album, In This Moment We Are Free - Cities, on October 20th worldwide via InsideOutMusic. Each track on the new album is named after a city that made an impression on Anneke while touring the world, and to celebrate the release they have launched a contest where fans can guess each of the locations featured on the album, and win exclusive and rare merchandise. Head here to take part.

Anneke comments: "Often I have a strong feeling for a city where I perform. It can be anything, sometimes I visualize a city as a man or a character, or sometimes something happened in that city that I want to write about. All 11 songs on the album pay tribute to a certain city and with this contest we'd like to give our fans the opportunity to guess which cities will be featured on the album and win some unique items...."

Reactions: lane_miller
I wasn't sure what to expect from this project, but the sound is quite different from anything I expected. I'm still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing them next year.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this project, but the sound is quite different from anything I expected. I'm still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing them next year.
I wasn't exactly sure what to expect either, other than on the vocal front. Having heard teases and this single...I'm pretty excited. Great buncha musicians fronted by one of the best voices in the business.

This is pretty heavy. And really good. I imagine that almost everyone here will find something to love on this album, to be honest.