Anniversary of the first Black Sabbath album!

true dat.
the story i've heard: iommi cut his fingertips off right b4 they went into record this. so he tunes down to alleviate string tension which makes it easier to play with his injury and little plastic prosthetics.
does this mean that the keys of the songs were different in 1969? is it c that he tuned down to? more likely that iommi just transposed his parts a couple steps up to match the bass in 440 huh. a show in paris 12-20-70 they're tuned down a half step. i just always wondered if his injury and the subsequent adjustments greatly affected iommi's sound and technique and how much this influenced sabbaths sound.
dave, have you heard anything pre-first album? i think tony played with jethro tull in 69 too?

Sabbathking said:
On this day back in 1970 music was forever changed.The first Black Sabbath album was released thus heavy metal was born!So if you have a copy give it a spin today!:D
I was conceived the same month that metal was born, fairly close to the exact day I think.

MiniMurray said:
true dat.
the story i've heard: iommi cut his fingertips off right b4 they went into record this. so he tunes down to alleviate string tension which makes it easier to play with his injury and little plastic prosthetics.
does this mean that the keys of the songs were different in 1969? is it c that he tuned down to? more likely that iommi just transposed his parts a couple steps up to match the bass in 440 huh. a show in paris 12-20-70 they're tuned down a half step. i just always wondered if his injury and the subsequent adjustments greatly affected iommi's sound and technique and how much this influenced sabbaths sound.
dave, have you heard anything pre-first album? i think tony played with jethro tull in 69 too?
Sara,
The first two albums were in standard tuning.If you watch the Paris 1970 video he doesn't play that far up the neck.Back then he used .008 and banjo strings for his guitar since according to him "the heavier gauges rip my bloody fingers apart".As far as I know he didn't go any lower than E flat before Master Of Reality.Yes you are right that his injury,and having to find a new technique for himself after the accident did affect how him,and Sabbath ended up sounding.Yes Iommi was in Jethro Tull for a very short amount of time-enough to make an appearence on "The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus"(which was lip synched-what a shame),and some writing-no more than a month I believe because he didn't like their vibe.

Nope haven't heard anything pre-first album.However a rare acetate of an unreleased song from the 1969 session called "When I Came Down" backed with a demo of "The Wizard" made it's way to a collector.I hope the collector decides to share that jem!Check out http://www.sabbathlive.com for more info about that.

Dave

Black Who??? OOoh Sabbath!

Interesting even the begining and the end of the book I concider to be the heavy metal bible: SOUND OF THE BEAST: THE COMPLETE HEADBANGING HISTORY OF HEAVY METAL begin and end with Sabbath/Ozzy :)

Speaking of which, great fricking book. Caused me to pull out my old album & cd collection and start listening to what got me started...

which got me thinking. What was your first heavy metal album?

First ever I had was Iron Maiden: Iron Maiden way back in 1980. First tape I ever owned, and it changed my life. In fact, I didn't even pick up any Sabbath or Ozzy until the mid-80s... but keep in mind, in 1980 I was 10 (lol)

-HobbesDawg