Annoying problem with my usually solid 5150 head

mburton21

Oct 7, 2009
Hey guys,

My 5150's rhythm (green) channel has been on the fritz for the last few months.

Whenever I turn the Pre Gain knob, it crackles, pops, and occasionally works in certain positions. Also the case (rarely) with my Post Gain knob on the lead channel, however that is only when it is extremely low (less than 1)

Since I have done a full retube twice and the problem remains the same, I am thinking that it is just dirty pots. I haven't really had much done with the amp since I bought it a few years ago.

Any ideas? If so, is this a home job (i have mediocre skill with soldering) or take it to the techy?

Thanks a lot.

Sounds like a dirty pot to me too. You could probably just use some contact cleaner and spray it directly into the pot (there is usually a hole in the body of it) and move the knob around and it'll clean it up nicely. I just did this with my old line 6 head too.

There is no hole in the body to spray it in :\

Looks like I need to get out my tool set.

Sometimes its not a hole, and can just be a little crevice to the inside of the pot and you can spray in there. Its usually where the connection terminals are.

Oh ok awesome, so the it's the bigass crevass that is the first thing you see when you take off the plastic knob :p /failpalm

No, not the gap that holds the knob, but the gap below the three posts here:

potentiometer.jpg