http://www.mother-anorexia.com/

1. The Shining
2. Antiferno
3. Sister September
4. Worship Manifesto
5. Codex-Veritas
6. An Amen
7. The Sacrament

I remember the first time I saw a picture of these guys. I was standing in Sound Exchange, one of our local mom and pops here in Houston. I was thumbing through the A’s and came across the Drudenhaus cd and I erupted in laughter. This particular shop is kinda small, so needless to say, I was heard. From that moment on, I never got around to listening to any of their music. So, when Redemption Process showed up in my mailbox, I was certainly curious. Now, having listened to it completely numerous times, I must check out their back catalogue. This album is a fine example of symphonic black metal brilliantly composed, regardless of the band’s CRADLE OF FILTH meets AKERCOCKE image. This is also the first album since leaving former label Osmose.

We start with “The Shining,” a blast fest with triumphant sounding keys and ferocious vocals. I like around the 3 minute album where everything seems to drop out, only briefly, before going into a wonderful doom filled dirge and then returning back to its hyperactive maze of chaos. They keep up the pace throughout “Antiferno” and then it slows to midpace for the first portion of “Sister September.” Style and feel wise, this album reminds me of GEHENNA’s Adimiron Black album, very caustic, abrasive, yet melodic. The screams of “sister” are quite catchy.

This release is definitely for those that want symphonic black metal without it coming across too polished, ala DIMMU BORGIR and COF. “Codex-Veritas” is a great example, you can hear everything perfectly, yet aside from a well written song and great execution, there’s nothing remotely commercial sounding about it. The arrangements throughout the album are fairly epic, nothing under the 5 minute mark. So, get off of your collective asses, drop all prejudices, and give Redemption Process a spin.

Rating: 8/10
Papa Josh