Anorexia Nervosa - Redemption Process

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Anorexia Nervosa - Redemption Process
Listenable Records - POSH 063 - 2004
By Philip Whitehouse

anorexia.jpg

Now, I want to make it clear from the outset, I am not what you might call the biggest fan of symphonic black metal. In fact, I'm hardly an outspoken campaigner for keyboards in metal at all. Generally, I reckon (with the possible exception of Devin Townsend and select industrial acts) any metal band even seen dicking around with the idea of epic synth accompaniments to their arrangements should be beaten about the face and head with a club. But amazingly, French symphonic black metallers Anorexia Nervosa aren't inspiring me to go on a psychopathic rampage with this album - in fact, I really rather like it!

Perhaps it's because the quintet have remembered that guitars should really be somewhere at the forefront of metal, peppering the seven tracks on this offering with savage riffage that at times recalls early Dimmu Borgir at their speediest, but also occasionally hints at thrashier, more brutal influences. For example, the down-tempo passage at the midsection of opening track 'The Shining' first gives the song room to breathe and develop, creating a more epic feel before swinging straight back into the blastbeats. Elsewhere, 'Antiferno''s chugging breakdown-esque interlude provides perfect full-upper-body headbanging material.

Also, the implementation of the keyboards themselves is pretty damned skillful - occasionally, you could believe a real symphony accompaniment is present in the mix, so all praise must go to the keyboard player for managing both restraint and accomplished addition to the arrangements. The diversity in the material is impressive also - every track is varied both in itself and in relation to the other tracks on the album. 'Sister September' could well be the best symphonic black metal track ever penned, by the way - this is black metal incorporating both its thrash roots and its symphonic progression in the space of a single track.

Negative criticism now - considering the quality of the riff-work on offer, it would have been nice for the guitars to have had more prominence in the mix, especially seeing as the production is so faultless in all other respects. Also, as is the general tendency of all symphonic black metal, the fullness of the sound and generally full-on pace of the material means that Redemption Process can become a wall-of-background-noise record if listened to casually. But generally, this is the most impressive and palatable symphonic black metal album of the year.

8/10

Anorexia Nervosa Official Website
Listenable Records

Good review. I happen to like AE pretty much too, they are one of the few black metal bands which have a very good guitarist. I agree that the guitars don't sound loud enough in the mix... it was a lot more proeminent in "NOO".