Another boring introduction...

Scylla Opal

Sin, slave of sensation
Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
I'm known by lotsa names online, but here I'm Scylla Opal... it's an acronym, so be creative, if you wanna figure it out. Hehe. I'm a gal in my mid-20's, I love to sing and have played classical piano (though not as well as I'd like to, by far) since I was... 7 or 8, I think. What does that have to do with metal? Well, I don't know! I'm a pretty late starter when it comes to metal, though... I listened to some Metallica in the 80s, sure, but I didn't really consider myself a fan of the genre until I got into prog metal. Symphony X was my favorite for the longest time... there's this awesome guy at a record store near where I live who takes care of the prog metal section there, so I was introduced to many more bands through there, as well as through browsing online. Too many bands to name... Dream Theater of course, though I was never a fan... Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, Rhapsody (fear the cheese! *ducks*), Iced Earth, Behind the Curtain, um... Balance of Power... some of these are local bands I think, I really don't remember. I didn't like everything I exposed my ears to, but I was especially attracted to the... well, symphonic quality of a lot of prog metal bands, considering my musical background (I actually listen to all sorts of music, though, not just classical or metal). Oh yeah -- I really got into Nightwish, too, not as much because of the metal-ness but because I'm an aspiring vocalist and Tarja's voice is absolutely gorgeous. I wish there were more impressive female vocalists in metal. :/

Eventually, prog metal led me to Opeth and Nevermore, which seem to be a couple of those bands that ride the line between metal and prog, 'cause I've seen them categorized in both. I don't know much about stuff like that... I don't follow the bands as closely as my boyfriend does, but then again, I mostly pay attention to vocals when I listen to anything (and he pays attention to bass, being a bassist and all ;) ). Discovered Anathema, too... really enjoyed the couple albums of theirs I had, which led me to Antimatter, whose new album just completely kicks ass -- you might understand why if you peek at my current favorites (Portishead is probably my favorite band of all time!) Generally, I guess you could say that after drifting away from the power/thrash metal stuff I ended up rooting myself into a more black metal category, though I did keep a couple of my original prog metal albums for fun.

Bleah... one thing about me is that I'm horribly wordy. I'm actually supposed to be going to class right now, and I think I'm late! But I've been wanting to introduce myself for a while, so here it is. Hmm, I wonder if anyone knows Eleven (my newest obsession *_*) or Diamanda (my vocalist idol, though I could never sing like her)? I know they're not really metal, but a diverse music taste is healthy!

Whoops... time to run. :D Hopefully I'll remember to come back and post more, heheheh.