ledmag

New Metal Member
Aug 31, 2001
Kentucky
Visit site
'Lost in Space' Actor Harris Dies
Mon Nov 4, 9:44 PM ET
By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jonathan Harris, the flamboyantly fussy actor who portrayed the dastardly, cowardly antagonist Dr. Zachary Smith on the 1960's sci-fi show "Lost in Space," has died. He was 87.

Harris died Sunday from a blood clot in his heart while receiving therapy at an Encino-area hospital for a chronic back problem, family spokesman Kevin J. Burns said Monday.

Born Jonathan Charasuchin in the Bronx to Russian-Jewish immigrant parents, Harris adopted the stage persona of a classically trained British actor with his grandiloquent accent, crisp enunciation and professorial manner.

When people would ask him if he was from England, Harris would confess: "'Oh no, my dear, just affected,'" said Burns, a longtime friend and director of the 1998 documentary "Lost in Space Forever."

Harris also worked with Pixar Animation Studios in recent years, supplying the voice of Manny the preying-mantis magician in "A Bug's Life" and the elderly doll repairman in "Toy Story 2."

"Lost in Space," which ran on CBS from 1965 to 1968, was a sci-fi takeoff on the "Swiss Family Robinson" story in which the castaway clan was trapped amid the uncharted fathoms of space instead of on a deserted island.

Harris' character, Dr. Smith, was a saboteur who caused the Robinson family's ship, Jupiter II, to fly off course — but he also found himself trapped with them in the craft.

Well at least he was lucky enough to die at the age of 87, what about all the young people that die every day they don't make the fucking news. Kiss my ass old fart.

nice death, I must say, at the age of 87, and when you take into consideration that we all start dying that very moment we come out to the light of day. for some, dying is a short process, they die young. for this man, it was a longer process... the wind was calling his name for longer time.... "life's sweet melody, all in the blink of an eye" though. it's resting time. curtain falls, the cast recedes.

Originally posted by Tee
nice death, I must say, at the age of 87, and when you take into consideration that we all start dying that very moment we come out to the light of day. for some, dying is a short process, they die young. for this man, it was a longer process... the wind was calling his name for longer time.... "life's sweet melody, all in the blink of an eye" though. it's resting time. curtain falls, the cast recedes.
nice post, Tee.

to closely parallel your last sentence above, Dream Theater's lyrics for "take away my pain":

His final scene
The actor bows
And all those years
Are gone somehow
The crowd applauds
The curtain falls...

I say dying young is the way to go. Who'd wanna live long enough to look like this or have to look at his wife or something who looks like this...

oldfart.jpg

Besides, humans weren't meant to live as long as we live now... Technology fucked everything up!

lizard-> glad you liked my perspective (if that's what you liked), I kinda paraphrased WD, but these Dream Theater verses say the same thing. nice.

Guerrilla - > you are a never-tired-bastard! :D

Karmic >> no, from Dreaming Neon Black.

ledmag >> that's actually how I really feel, told you something about my doomy perspective on life. ;)