Another nerd related death - Arthur C. Clarke passes

Shadow298

UNLEASH THE GUAN
Sep 4, 2002
Without the Darkness
Visit site
Arthur C. Clarke, author of such famous works as the Space Odyssey series (2001, 2010, 2061 & 3001) and Rendezvous with Rama, has died today of breathing related problems.

This is the second major sci/fi-fantasy related deaths in as many months and will doubtless effect the community just as much as the recent death of Gary Gygax.

Arguably, Clarke was a giant in the field of Science Fiction writing and a huge influence in the genre as well films, when he helped write 2001: A Space Odyssey with Stanley Kubrick, and general pop culture (such as The Simpsons numerous references to his works).

I only ever read a few of his works -2001, 2010 & 2061- but was always intrigued by his use of scientific realism in his works despite some of the very fanciful aspects of some of his stories.

For more details on his life and death, best to check this link: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/19/arts/obits.php

Anthony Minghella died as well. I was shocked when I heard that.

Yeah.

I didn't really like any movies that he directed but I did appreciate what he did and what he brought to Holywood -namely a touch of English class and culture as well as a new aesthetic and attitude that wasn't American.

Seems like a huge year of niche celebrity deaths.
so, rockers and metalheads better be prepared for some passings soon too.
Because we've lost a roleplayer, writer and director -an actor and musician are next in line.

I only ever read a few of his works -2001, 2010 & 2061- but was always intrigued by his use of scientific realism in his works despite some of the very fanciful aspects of some of his stories.

He didn't just use scientific realism, HE INVENTED FUCKING SCIENCE! (Not the science of fucking, though. Although allegedly you might want to ask his Sri Lankan pool-boys about that.)

Geostationary satellites and bouncing radio waves off the atmosphere. All Arthur, baby.

And now Paul Scofield, one of the greatest actors ever, has died. Well, that's the happens-in-threes thing done (after Minghella and Clarke).