Arthur C. Clarke, R.I.P.

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
*sigh*

Sir Arthur C. Clarke, legendary futurist and visionary, father of the communications satellite and one of the world's best-known science-fiction and science-fact writers, has died in his longtime home of Sri Lanka. He was 90. :cry:

I never actually met him in person -- he's been staying almost exclusively in Sri Lanka since the 50's -- but I was present at the now-infamous satellite video appearance he made at Dragon*Con several years ago. Ed, the convention chairman at the time, thought it'd be funny if we opened the video link from our end with two people in Klingon makeup and garb on-camera. Arthur was quite surprised for a moment, and then chuckled very appreciatively. It was priceless. :)

Farewell, Arthur. May your final journey be gentle and may you always Walk In the Air.

I was a little shocked at this today. I had actually sat down last night and watched 2001 in HD (fantastic transfer BTW), and while watching, I was searching online like I often do. I spent some time catching up on what ACC has been up to, since I know he had done that video around his birthday in December. I guess I just figured that he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Wherever he is, I hope it's full of stars.

Godspeed Sir Arthur, thanks for everything.

One of the 20th centuries greatest visionaries and pioneers. It bugs me a bit that he wanted to be remembered as an author, as although 2001 A Space Odyssey is monumental, it is his only notable work of fiction. I will always remember him as a champion of exploring the unknown.

One of the 20th centuries greatest visionaries and pioneers. It bugs me a bit that he wanted to be remembered as an author, as although 2001 A Space Odyssey is monumental, it is his only notable work of fiction. I will always remember him as a champion of exploring the unknown.

Rendezvous With Rama was also quite good, as was The Songs Of Distant Earth....but I'll always treasure a collection of short stories by him (The Other Side of the Sky, I think). His style often seemed more suited to short stories anyway.

As an aside, I'd forgotten that there was a controversy when he was knighted; there were allegations of paedophilia. I knew ACC was gay -- it was an open secret in the SF world -- but his investiture was delayed two years until the Sri Lankan government unconditionally cleared him of any wrongdoing.