Another hidden gem uncovered; M-16 'Locked and Loaded'

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
Heaven and Hell Records uncover another forgotten gem from 1980s New York. In a decade when the clubs were full of big hair, spandex, and lots of kids wanting to rock the tri-state area was overflowing with circuit bands. The competitive scene was full of great hard rock and heavy metal bands but only few would rise to the top and constantly pack out the areas venues, Schenectady’s M-16 were one of those who did.
31025_photo.jpg

From the bands early beginning in 1981 as a local cover band playing metal standards from Maiden, Priest, and Def Leppard M-16 quickly built a reputation in the area. Every time you would scan the local papers and magazines M-16 would be playing somewhere and sure to sellout the place. By 1988 the band released their only album to date ‘Locked and Loaded’ a solid piece of hook filled melodic hard rock. By the following year the M-16 would disband. Almost two decades later the band would reform to go out and the circuit again to play for those who hold fond memories of a time that just simply rocked.

This year Heaven and Hell Records plan to release M-16 ‘Locked and Loaded’ for the first time ever on CD. The reissue is part of the ‘Lost Relics’ series and will be re-mastered and include bonus tracks and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another blast from the past for me. Along w/ Blacksmith and China White they were one of the bigger metal bands from the Albany NY area in the 80's.

Considering I was born and raised in Schenectady for 25 years I know this band quite well. Glad to see you resurrect them!

Logan5 : What about bands like Triffid, East Wall, and Maxx Thrust? I will say this.....the Upstate NY area had some of the best unknown Hard Rock, and Metal bands out there! SARATOGA WINNERS RULED! I am still trying to convince my old band members to do a reunion show up at Northern Lights! (Mommy Dearest)

I have been trying to push Jimmy to release the Maxx Thrust stuff for years! Ever since briefly playing with them (oh the Adirondack Strings basement days) I have always thought they were brilliant. Its some of the best Hard Rock material to never see the light of day!

Yep, Triffid, East Wall and Maxx Thrust were all cool too. Triffid is of course known for having Joey Belladonna in on vox for a while.

Couple of coincidental little things: My mother in law's brother was the drummer in Triffid, a good friends cousin was a guitar player in Maxx Thrust, and my old flat mate was the singer in East Wall.

Been to Saratoga Winners MANY times, and actually just went to a SW reunion benefit for a local animal shelter. A bunch of local talent played, and lots of old school people were there. A rockin' good time was had by all!!

Heaven and Hell Records uncover another forgotten gem from 1980s New York. In a decade when the areas clubs were full of big hair, spandex, and lots of kids wanting to rock in the tri-state area was overflowing with circuit bands. In the competitive scene full of great hard rock and heavy metal bands few would rise to the top and consciously pack out the areas venues, Schenectady’s M-16 were one of those who did.
31025_photo.jpg

From the bands early beginning in 1981 as a local cover band playing metal standards from Maiden, Priest, and Def Leppard M-16 quickly built a reputation in the area. Every time you would scan the local papers and magazines M-16 would be playing somewhere and sure to sellout the place. By 1988 the band released their only album to date ‘Locked and Loaded’ a solid piece of hook filled melodic hard rock. By the following year the M-16 would disband. Almost two decades later the band would reform to go out and the circuit again to play for those who hold fond memories of a time that just simply rocked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TjZ0lp-TRg
This year Heaven and Hell Records plan to release M-16 ‘Locked and Loaded’ for the first time ever on CD. The reissue is part of the ‘Lost Relics’ series and will be re-mastered and include bonus tracks and more.

That song sounds very good. Never hever heard of this band before...

Yep, Triffid, East Wall and Maxx Thrust were all cool too. Triffid is of course known for having Joey Belladonna in on vox for a while.

Couple of coincidental little things: My mother in law's brother was the drummer in Triffid, a good friends cousin was a guitar player in Maxx Thrust, and my old flat mate was the singer in East Wall.

Been to Saratoga Winners MANY times, and actually just went to a SW reunion benefit for a local animal shelter. A bunch of local talent played, and lots of old school people were there. A rockin' good time was had by all!!

Nice! I saw that SW reunion on facebook and wanted to go.

How about Untamed (now spelled Untaymed) and Enertia (with fellow forumer Joe on bass). I still talk to Chris Jacobsen from Untaymed on occasion, and he's still involved in a lot of music projects vocal wise.

So are there any good clubs in the Capital Region anymore or is Northern Lights pretty much it?

Nice! I saw that SW reunion on facebook and wanted to go.

How about Untamed (now spelled Untaymed) and Enertia (with fellow forumer Joe on bass). I still talk to Chris Jacobsen from Untaymed on occasion, and he's still involved in a lot of music projects vocal wise.

So are there any good clubs in the Capital Region anymore or is Northern Lights pretty much it?

Yeah, I know Chris and have seen Untaymed a bunch of times, great voice on that guy. He's always got something going on, does a Priest tribute thing a lot.

Love Enertia, they really should have gotten more attention than they did, and unfortunately because they didn't it seems they are reaching the end of the road as a band. They were kind of like the NY version of Flotsam & Jetsam, or at least always reminded me of F&J (esp. the vox).

The area pretty much sucks for metal, even Northern Lights doesn't book as many "real" metal bands as they used to, it's mostly all radio type metal now. I pretty much have to travel to The Chance or The Palladium for a good show. Danzig is coming in May though, so that's cool. There are definitely no metal oriented clubs.

Btw, if you want to hear a KILLER new full on metal band from Albany you need to check out Armor Column; seriously heavy power thrash that kind of reminds me of Biomechanical.