Another one bites the dust... RIP Layne Staley

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
SEATTLE – The lead singer to the Seattle-based grunge rock band Alice in Chains died Friday afternoon.

Layne Staley was 34. He was born in Kirkland, Wash. where he grew up.

A King County medical examiner's investigator said his office collected a body from the address in the 4500 block of 8th Ave. N.E. Friday night and planned an autopsy Saturday. The Medical Examiners office refused to confirm the identity of the deceased.

Unofficial reports suggested that Staley died of a drug overdose.

Alice in Chains was one of a handful of grunge rock bands that became a national sensation by bridging the gap between hard rock and alternative music.

In addition to its minimalist, hard-driving music, heroin was also part of the grunge scene.

Alice in Chains was forced to cancel a 1994 tour after Staley admitted his battle with heroin addiction, a drug that had taken a toll on other Seattle musicians, including Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain.

Cobain’s own struggle with heroin was well known long before he committed suicide in 1994.

Just three months later, Hole bassist Kristen Pfafff’s body was found in the bathtub of her Seattle apartment. She too had died of an overdose.

Staley was born Aug. 2, 1967 in Kirkland, Wash.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Well then that sucks AIC was one of my favorite grunge bands :( Here's a quote from Layne that was in Rolling Stone:

"I wrote about drugs, and I didn't think I was being unsafe or careless by writing about them," he told the magazine. "Here's how my thinking pattern went: When I tried drugs, they were (expletive) great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning against me — and now I'm walking through hell, and this sucks."

Looks like he just couldn't stop...

oh well....my uncle was friends with Staley and said the last time he saw him about a year ago he was thin as a rail and pasty white, his teeth were falling out and shit, but he was totally unwilling to stop using heroin...guess it goes to show you....

The news post on KNAC.COM had this to say:

"A King County medical-examiner's investigator said his office removed a body from the Staley address and planned an autopsy today, but he refused to confirm the identity of the person. He said it appeared the person had been dead for some time and would have to be identified scientifically."

That's really terribly sad... I'd hate to think that if I died that my body wouldn't be found for many many days... AIC used to be one of my favorite bands and this is sad news indeed...

I agree that this is sad news. AIC was probably one of my favorite bands from that time period. I don't see why people use heroin. They know what it will do to them before ever getting started. So many musicians have died from it. Bad, bad drug.

On a side note, I will probably be seing Jerry Cantrell next Saturday. I wonder if he'll still be playing or not. I am not sure how he'll handle Staley's death.

fuck....this year sucks so much, everyone's dying: my granddad, my friend who had cancer, my friends grandmother, my girlfriends granddad, chuck schuldiner (yea, i know he techinically died last year) and now layne stanley

NP: AiC - Bleed the Freak

Yeah, I posted it in one of the threads here. I can't believe it. Even if Alice in Chains finds a new singer, they'll never be the same.

I didnt think they were still releasing albums... Damn man this sucks, he was such a good singer.

Alice In Chains will always be a great band and Layne will be forever missed...just messed up that all these great musicans are dying from these damn drugs but people arent opening their eyes and seeing what is happening due to them!

Besides Soundgarden, AIC was my one of my favorite bands...Dirt and the great Jar of Flies will live on even though their lead singer passed away...it is a shame what drugs can do to a person.

It is ironic that Staley was healthy, yet he was taking drugs and killing himself... and Chuch Schuldiner was being made to take drugs so that he could live...

Anyone see something so wrong with that?