circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Antestor – Det Tapte Liv (EP)
Endtime Productions – 2004
By Jason Jordan

antestor.gif

Christian black metal. Some believe the terms to be an oxymoron, while others insist that the label should be distributed purely on the basis of musical content. I see no reason why nihilism has to invade every black metal band’s outlook. And, there is a difference between positive lyrics and unabashed proselytizing.

Det Tapte Liv is an EP intended to tide us over until the full-length arrives. The album is housed in a nice package with room for the upcoming digipak. The sorrowful Norwegians are back in full sway, as the masterful “Rites of Death” commences with full force. Hellhammer is at the drumkit this time around, so expect nothing less than a spectacular performance on the skins. Melody whisks us away as somber lulls pave the way for the entrance of clean vocals. The black metal growls are well done, although no match for the intensity of Burzum or Drottnar. “Grief” is a subtle composition that relies on piano/keyboard arrangements. Other than featuring just piano and keyboard, it harbors spoken vocals that are a tad melodramatic. You Satanists out there might not enjoy the lyrics either.

“Last Season” begins predictably - but rather ambient, as the organ controls the atmosphere underneath piano. Essentially, Antestor’s latest venture reminds of Crimson Moonlight: songs heavily based on piano orchestration. The aforementioned instrumental piece is an acceptable warm-up for “Med Hevede Sverd.” Black metal rears its head again as the first few seconds tick away. And the title track “Det Tapte Liv” is yet another instrumental, piano recording.

Though the EP is only nineteen minutes long, it doesn’t fail to hold my attention. All tracks are enjoyable in their own right, and the release fully serves its purpose: I’m salivating at the thought of the next Antestor album.

8/10

Official Antestor website
Official Endtime Productions website