circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Agalloch – The White EP
Vendlus Records – VEND010 – 29 February 2008
By Jason Jordan

agallochtwe.jpg

The companion to previous Vendlus installment The Grey EP, Agalloch’s highly-anticipated The White EP is a collection of seven folk songs recorded between 2004-2007. Admittedly this EP can’t stand up to the band’s masterful LPs, but it’s a fine outing despite its lack of fluidity.

While the sorrowful, acoustic-laden opener ‘The Isle of Summer’ conjures the dreary, natural environment in which the foursome reside, as do atmospheric followers ‘Birch Black’ and the overly ambient ‘Hollow Stone,’ it’s the lengthy ‘Pantheist’ that truly excels. Laced with acoustic guitar, Jew’s harp, foreboding percussion, and clean chants, this despondent track is incredibly striking, partly due to its The Mantle vibes. More uplifting, however, is ‘Birch White,’ but ‘Sowilo Rune’ quickly returns to melancholy, offering piano accompaniment for good measure. Piano-cum-soundclip outro ‘Summerisle – Reprise’ is nothing to scoff at either.

For those unacquainted or simply inexperienced, it goes without saying that Agalloch’s full-lengths should be investigated before their EPs. Still, diehard fans will eat up The White EP as it’s yet another serving from these oh-so-talented Oregonians. Good luck procuring a copy, and whatever you do, don’t expect the greatest album ever. It’s simply a very good one.

Official Agalloch Website
Official Agalloch Myspace
Official Vendlus Records Website

Solid review. I can almost smell the dirt and trees on this. Agalloch are not the best musicians out there, but imo, their strength lies in their compositional skill. They simply know how to write a fuckin' good song. Some of the best music I've heard so far in 2008.

im a new listener to agalloch, i've only heard the LPs. I really love this band and reading this review will definitely prompt me to find and listen to their EPs. Thanks