Anthrax / Harpos-Detroit 4-29

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Is that how the opening bands are compensated at Harpos? Thats kinda cool if so, nice way to make some loot escpecially if it is a sought after ticket.

actually...you don't get to keep any of the money....Harpos is a joke..they make you sell tickets to play on the show..and than any ticket you don't sell is money out of your pocket...what time does your band go on? I already have a ticket or else I would have bought one.. good luck on your sales. Hopefully it has changed now and they dont run business that way for struggling bands.

My buddies band opened for Slayer once at Harpos a few years ago and he never mentioned that. Although, they had to play on the floor and weren't allowed to play on the stage. I was like WTF? Who puts a opening band for Slayer on the floor? Slayer fans are bloody savages to begin with, who rarely don't boo or throw shit at the opening band to begin with.

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
My buddies band opened for Slayer once at Harpos a few years ago and he never mentioned that. Although, they had to play on the floor and weren't allowed to play on the stage. I was like WTF? Who puts a opening band for Slayer on the floor? Slayer fans are bloody savages to begin with, who rarely don't boo or throw shit at the opening band to begin with.

How many bands were on after your buddies?
The reason I ask, is because Harpo's has NO backstage area. All the headlining acts setup, then each band sets up in front of them or does it on the fly. If there were a lot of bands playing, there probably just wasn't room on the stage.
The backwall you see at Harpo's is the back of the building. It's a joke.

Also, tickets directly from Harpo's don't have ticketmaster bullshit charges. Like when I saw Anthrax up ther in October I bought Slayer tickets for the following month for $25 bucks; no sur charges.

It does suck to have to sell tickets for anything, but you have to remember, this is a business and it costs Ernie/Harpos a lot of money to get a band like Anthrax :worship: or Slayer :worship: in there, he has to compete w/ State Theater,Cobo and the Machine Shop in Flint. For a show like this it isn't bad, we don't make any money, but shit man...to open for Anthrax...priceless. Oh by the way, from what I am hearing, Slayer will be back in October :headbang: It is not a matter of paying the service fees as much as helping support the local bands that are busting their asses to survive and develop a fan base...saving a few bucks is just a bonus.
Right now there is 3 bands opening, South Gate, Truenemy and Pillow Block...all of us have tickets...take your pick, all we are asking for is some support.

See you fuckers in the pit,

Motown Rage is also on the Detroit bill. Anyone at the Hed PE show at Harpos should remember them.

t-rave said:
actually...you don't get to keep any of the money....Harpos is a joke..they make you sell tickets to play on the show..and than any ticket you don't sell is money out of your pocket...what time does your band go on? I already have a ticket or else I would have bought one.. good luck on your sales. Hopefully it has changed now and they dont run business that way for struggling bands.

When will you be playing next?

Sticky said:
Hey Mike, how did the Hed PE show go??? Who were the other locals on that one?? Looking forward to seeing you guys live...this is one of the better local lineups I have seen for a show, these fuckers are in for a treat.

Later,
Sticky gjones@bloodbrotherrecords.com

that show went really cool, can't wait for this one. right off of the top of my head I can't remember the other band names, but I had a lot of stuff going on right until we went on, but the turn out was really good, so it was a good time.

I'm not that comfortable with these mess. boards yet, but I think there were a couple questions directed at me...

South Gate will be the last local to play before Anthrax

A few upcoming shows...

Apr. 21 - headlining the Labyrinth for the Motor City Music Conference

May 14 - 1st ever Michigan Brotherhood of Metal monthly showcase w/ Relik and Mindrought at the Bullfrog in Redford

May 21 - Headlining Harpospalooza / all day event 12noon-12mid (WRIF will be broadcasting live all day)

June 11 - Dwell in Darkness Fest Dayton Ohio / also appearing from Mich. :worship: Summon

www.southgatemetal.com

:hotjump: there has been a lot of talk about Harpos being a shitty club...I have had this discussion with Ernie and he is trying to fix the place up, he has added security, metal detectors, outside lights, new sound system (Aug. 2004) and is well aware of the crime infested area. Tell me, what city other than Detroit or even Hamtramak would allow a 3000 cap. club that has mainly heavy ass metal and/or goth style bands into their city limits?...probably none. These types of shows are 90% of the time in a shitty area. Harpos has a long history of bringing in some of the best heavy bands of all time, I have seen some of the best shows there ( Slayer, Pantera, Morbid Angel, Hatebreed etc. ) where else would you expect to see these bands???

Someone posted an interview with Scott Ian and he said he hates Harpos...the way it works with Harpos, the State and the Machine Shop in Flint is the show goes to the highest bidder...it's funny, I guess Scott cares a little more about the money than his and his fans safety. :err:

Bottom line is, Harpos gets most of the best shows, period. If you want to hang out in a nice, posh club then you are not there to see heavy, heavy shit...cause that shit is playing at Harpos. It is always the individuals choice, if you are worried, then stay home.

PS... :worship: Hatebreed is coming soon (dvd shoot) and :worship: Slayer will be there in October.

Sticky said:
:hotjump: there has been a lot of talk about Harpos being a shitty club...I have had this discussion with Ernie and he is trying to fix the place up, he has added security, metal detectors, outside lights, new sound system (Aug. 2004) and is well aware of the crime infested area. Tell me, what city other than Detroit or even Hamtramak would allow a 3000 cap. club that has mainly heavy ass metal and/or goth style bands into their city limits?...probably none. These types of shows are 90% of the time in a shitty area. Harpos has a long history of bringing in some of the best heavy bands of all time, I have seen some of the best shows there ( Slayer, Pantera, Morbid Angel, Hatebreed etc. ) where else would you expect to see these bands???

Someone posted an interview with Scott Ian and he said he hates Harpos...the way it works with Harpos, the State and the Machine Shop in Flint is the show goes to the highest bidder...it's funny, I guess Scott cares a little more about the money than his and his fans safety. :err:

Bottom line is, Harpos gets most of the best shows, period. If you want to hang out in a nice, posh club then you are not there to see heavy, heavy shit...cause that shit is playing at Harpos. It is always the individuals choice, if you are worried, then stay home.

PS... :worship: Hatebreed is coming soon (dvd shoot) and :worship: Slayer will be there in October.

Scott doesn't book shows. That's up to the promoters and booking agents.
I know Scott would rather play St. Andrews.

damn, that would be cool to see them at St. Andrews. It would never happen though, because they couldnt afford Anthrax or Slayer etc., unless they charged $40 a ticket.

I'm not trying to be a dick, this is just the way I see it...money talks, it sucks, but it is the truth.

Sticky said:
damn, that would be cool to see them at St. Andrews. It would never happen though, because they couldnt afford Anthrax or Slayer etc., unless they charged $40 a ticket.

I'm not trying to be a dick, this is just the way I see it...money talks, it sucks, but it is the truth.
ANTHRAX played St. Andrews on the "Tour of Terror" in 1998. I have it on video. And I doubt tix were $40.

I saw anthrax at St. Andrew on the volume 8 tour...there was about 100 or less people there (sad)...Harpos is known as the metal venue and that really is the best place for Anthrax to play.

t-rave said:
I saw anthrax at St. Andrew on the volume 8 tour...there was about 100 or less people there (sad)...Harpos is known as the metal venue and that really is the best place for Anthrax to play.

Yo T,

When you playin' next?
:headbang:
BTW Scott told me that they would rather not play Harpos and that it was out of their hands. Between local promoters and booking agents. And I would pay more to see them at the State, St Andrews or even the fuckin' Token. They have GOT to get to the west side...more of their fan base lives west of woodward, way west of woodward ya know?

Mikey...

recording a new cd and picking up the odd small show here and there... I'll be down at Harpos next friday so maybe we can say Hi! I wish they wouldve booked the Emerald Theater....great area , huge stage , great sound...When they played there with Motorhead it was awesome!