Anti-Intellectualism

It would be interesting to hear your definition of "pretentiousness" Judas.

I don't care for pretentiousness myself as I'd define it as trying to pull the wool over another's eyes by giving them the impression that they are too stupid or uncultured to understand what is being said (or conveyed by other means eg. visually or audibly). Would you agree?

Norsemaiden said:
It would be interesting to hear your definition of "pretentiousness" Judas.

I don't care for pretentiousness myself as I'd define it as trying to pull the wool over another's eyes by giving them the impression that they are too stupid or uncultured to understand what is being said (or conveyed by other means eg. visually or audibly). Would you agree?

I shouldnt write this, but I cant help it, and am just a lay poster...

I would also like to know Judas' definition of pretentiousness, especially after reviewing his posts. I read his confused illogical flimsy pop-philosophy arguments, rebutted by him when refuted (as they always are) by condescending rude comments, and this intolerable sense of victimization by either "intellectuals" or those vicious power-mad persons of power. If pretentiousness is a third rate mind who has read Atlas Shrugged a few many times, lecturing others of why he is right, and they are invariably wrong, then I think this definition is entirely correct.

In my mind, pretentiousness is less an active effort to deceive (although deception is definitely a part of it ..intentinally done or not) and more the inclination to forfeit the unfiltered message and impartial interpretation of the truth for the show (ie, how he is seen by his peers and thus, in that there is safety in numbers, he will avoid honesty if it puts himself in a difficult or a potentially susceptible spot as far as his position as intellectual goes, and probably will never admit personal ignorance under any condition, or retract anything in light of the truth ..even if not doing so is at the expense of another).

In general, pretentious individuals tend to be ingenuine and will often over extend the bounds of their knowledge again, for the sole sake of looking good (knowledgeable) ..unmindful of little else to the same degree, especially with being correct and disseminating an accurate portrayal of the facts.

Now having said that I asked a question ..is it harmful or not? If so, in what ways? If not, why not?

speed said:
I read his confused illogical flimsy pop-philosophy arguments...

And speed, if you don't enjoy my topics, my questions and reasoning, please don't respond; it's really that easy.

Anti-intellectualism is the bastard son of anti-bourgeois sentiment, which is why historically it has been a tool of class warfare (used by Hitler against the Jews and Junkers, by Stalinists against Trotskyites and liberals, by Mao to rouse the peasantry during the Cultural Revolution and by Republican corporate fatcats looking for a tool to bind rural and exburban peons to the conservative cause).

In it's basic form, it champions some form of idealized "masculinity" against a 'feminized' intellectual tradition - which probably explains why it is so popular with fans of Pantera and Cannibal Corpse and other similarly sausage fest-y bands.

My Man Mahmoud said:
Anti-intellectualism is the bastard son of anti-bourgeois sentiment, which is why historically it has been a tool of class warfare (used by Hitler against the Jews and Junkers, by Stalinists against Trotskyites and liberals, by Mao to rouse the peasantry during the Cultural Revolution and by Republican corporate fatcats looking for a tool to bind rural and exburban peons to the conservative cause).

In it's basic form, it champions some form of idealized "masculinity" against a 'feminized' intellectual tradition - which probably explains why it is so popular with fans of Pantera and Cannibal Corpse and other similarly sausage fest-y bands.

Perhaps. But at the same time, Uber-intellectualism can be used the same way - to opposite ends. Ultra-liberalism often couches it's arguments from radical feminism, to gun-control to race-denial in an intricate web of nebulous, intellectual gobbledygook.

OldScratch said:
Perhaps. But at the same time, Uber-intellectualism can be used the same way - to opposite ends. Ultra-liberalism often couches it's arguments from radical feminism, to gun-control to race-denial in an intricate web of nebulous, intellectual gobbledygook.

That's why we have the very useful distinction 'pseudo-intellectual.' Meeting stupidity with the mirror image of stupidity is...stupidity.

My Man Mahmoud said:
That's why we have the very useful distinction 'pseudo-intellectual.' Meeting stupidity with the mirror image of stupidity is...stupidity.

Very true! But sadly, too many never make the distinction...