Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
ANTIMATTER - SAVIOUR
The End - 2002

antimatter_saviour_200.jpg

By Rodrigo Escandon

With each new release from The End Records it’s going to be hard not to consider this as one of the best labels in metal. Saviour is the newest release from this great label and the band responsible for its creation is Antimatter, the new project by Duncan Patterson (ex-Anathema) and his long time friend Mick Moss. Let me say it straight out, this album is not metal, it has nothing to do with metal and any of you expecting a metal album should look elsewhere. Saviour is a dark, ambient and electronic album that has more in common with a band like Portishead than Anathema.

The pace of Saviour is slow, tranquil and haunting. This is the sort of album that you put on late at night with some minimal candlelight and then you lie down, close your eyes (it is kind of hard not to do it when in “Psalms” the lyrics say just that) and lose yourself in the music. After this listening session, I can guarantee you that you will feel extremely relaxed

The vocal duties shared by Sear’s Michele Richfield and Drug Free America’s Hayley Windsor is simply mesmerizing and with the minimalist music present throughout the entire album they are really the focal point of the songs. They are both very different in their style with Hayley sounding more child-like, more innocent and that is reflected in the songs like “Flowers” and “Angelic”. Michele has a more sultry and seductive voice and that is evidenced in “Psalms” and “Saviour”. There are other songs where Mick will sing lead alongside either woman and in fact one of them “The Last Laugh” is my favorite song of the album. It is the song with the fastest tempo, the coolest electronic beats and even some electric guitars popping up.

The edition released by The End includes two acoustic bonus tracks one being “Over Your Shoulder” and “Flowers”. It is extremely interesting to hear these songs stripped down to just the singing and an acoustic guitar. This version of “Flowers” should be of importance to Anathema fans since Danny Cavannagh sings the lead. If you enjoyed these acoustic songs like I did, then let me point you to the A Dream for the Blind EP which you can download from the Antimatter UK website run by Mick, the link is below.

There are times when you just want to listen to some relaxing, mesmerizing and beautiful music, there is only so much metal one’s ears can take. An album like Saviour provides that tonic for you. This is simply an amazing album. I highly recommend it.

The End Website
Antimatter Official UK Website
Antimatter Official Website