Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
ANTIMATTER – LIGHTS OUT
The End Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

Antimatter_LightsOut.jpg

Subtle changes have been made when comparing the latest Antimatter album Lights Out with their debut Saviour. The first change that I immediately noticed was Mick Moss taking more lead vocal duties this time around. In the previous album, Mick would mostly provide back up vocals but this time around both Haley Windsor and Michelle Richfield take a back seat to his lead. There is nothing wrong with that at all, it adds freshness to this album while still referencing the past.

The other obvious change is the overall tempo of the album. Lights Out is much slower, even more dark in tone and a lot of the up-tempo programming sounds that were present in Saviour have been scaled back. You might not hear that with a song like “Expire” which would belong on the first album but with some of the other songs like “Lights Out” with its eerie air raid siren at the beginning and with the slow and mesmerizing “Everything You Know is Wrong”.

The overall feel I get from this album is that the music is presented at a minimalist level. There might be more emphasis on electric and acoustic guitars, pianos and vocals but it is not overwhelming, songs are not going to be fast instead these elements are added to enhance the emotions of the compositions. Like “In Stone” there is a section of the song where there are electric guitars, simple drumming and Mick singing with a little more intensity but the song almost requires that pace to present itself and when it goes back to a slower and tranquil pace, it also feels right. In “Dream” the keyboard instrumentation is also a little faster, with a deliberate rhythmic beating and a more symphonic feel that is combined with Michele’s vocals and a beautiful song is created and the melody of the last 2 minutes are simple yet stunning. Finally, what better way to end the album than with the appropriately titled and hauntingly beautiful instrumental “Terminal”.

I find listening to Lights Out to be very soothing and relaxing and it truly takes me to another state of mind. Rare is it when an album is able to make such a strong personal connection with you but when that happens, you truly are listening to something very special and memorable.

The End Records Website
Antimatter Official Website
Antimatter Official UK Website