Antithesis - Dying For Life

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Antithesis - Dying For Life
Nightmare Records - 2001
By Mark Bridgeman

It's been a long time between drinks for Antithesis. Following their debut released in 1998 (and subsequently re-released), we finally see their follow-up, Dying For Life, and for the fan of straight-ahead, well-played, trad-power metal (for wont of a better term), the wait has been worth it.

Those of you who have had the priviledge to hear Antithesis' self-titled debut will know what to expect: intricate, powerful music without the usual prog-metal wankery, or full-blast, running-for-the-buses double bass drum throughout. Opener 'Soul Of Ice' establishes this, being a rippin', solid track. Voxman Ty Cook, sounding not unlike John Bush on a good day, hasn't lost any of his polish between albums. James Lewis lays down some solid basswork.

The follower, 'Consequence', is (although a solid track as well) nothing special. 'Deceiver Within', however, which follows has a great chorus, and fine guitar performances. A dark-edged ode to the 'hidden' side of the human psyche.

Any doubts about Antithesis' musicianship will be put to rest by 'Distanced', which opens with some great drum/bass work, and 'Times Of Trial', my personal album fave, where Cook's vocals really come to the fore. 'Mad Poet' brings in the band's heavier side, a surging change of pace that adds character to an already solid album.

'Politicide' has a fine bass/synth opening, and although the chorus has a cool hook, the rest of the track sadly doesn't match the previous songs, which is a shame. When Antithesis get it right, they get it right - but, like most, not all the time.

Closer 'Dying For Life (Limbo II)' is without a doubt the diamond in the band's musicianship crown (if-ya-get-me). The rhythm section lays down some serious groove, which the twisting, tight guitar work goes crazy over.

I'd been looking forward to this album since first hearing the band early last year, and I am satisfied that not only will Antithesis go places, but they deserve to.