Anvil - Metal on Metal

Dagon666

The Ayatollah of Rock
Nov 18, 2010
Uppsala, Sweden
This is the first review I have ever written, so bear with me. I started writing it intending to send it to Metal Archives, but after a while I ealized they would just blam it, so here you go! (I hope I am allowed to post in this section of the forum) :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Anvil is that band that never really made it. That’s not saying they didn’t try. They wanted to be the real hot-

shots, and hadn’t it been for some problems they encountered they just might have been that. Metal on Metal is truly a great album, and I think it’s a shame it didn’t lead to the same success Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or Manowar achieved.

Metal on Metal is a straight forward, “old school” rocker that any fan of early 80’s metal should enjoy. Pretty much every song on the album builds on a catchy, but well-written riff, which is not a bad thing. Although a catchy album, you won’t hear much pop in it. At least not to the same extent as many of the glam metal bands of the same era. I never get bored listening to this album, because Anvil keeps their special sound throughout the entire album, while still delivering a diverse, well-written and feel-good metal album. Sure, Lips voice might not sound all that good, but then again, not many traditional metal singers in the 80’s had flawless voices.

Here are the songs on the album and what I think of them. Since many of the songs kinda shares the same structure, I

will mostly explain the overall feel of the song, instead of over-analyzing every riff and every bridge.

1. Metal on Metal

The title-track might just be the highlight of the album. This rhythmic, groovy metal anthem kicks off the album

perfectly and introduces you to the albums sound and feel perfectly.

2. Mothra

This up-beat, speed-metal song starts of with a single guitar playing the main riff, only to be accompanied by

another guitar playing the same thing, until a gong kicks off the song. And it sounds good! If you like Swords &

Tequila by Riot, than this song is for you.

3. Stop Me

This is as close Metal on Metal gets to a ballad. Slow paced and with lyrics about kissing, this song could have

been really bad. But when Anvil manages to blend their own heavy metal sound with the almost magical beauty of Cheap

Trick’s Surrender in the verse and chorus, you just can’t help but smile.

4. March of the Crabs

Metal on Metals only instrumental song. With both harmonies and cutting-fast guitar work, March of the Crabs makes

me think of pirate metal. Maybe that’s what Anvil wanted?

5. Jackhammer

Jackhammer has perhaps the most unusual riff on the album. Groovy and jazz-fusion like, I can’t help but hear a

little Satch Boogie in this song. Not a bad song at all, but it sets itself apart from the rest of the album for

sure.

6. Heat Sink

Dave Allison shows off his guitar skills on this one. Many, many notes to hit at the same speed as less complicated

Mothra, Dave plays Heatsink with skill and groove.

7. Tag Team

Staccato guitars and heavy bass drums, Tag Team makes you headbang, whether you want it or not.

8. Scenery

If Stop Me was a ballad, then this is the second closest thing. It's lyrics do not however, revolve around a guys

love for a girl, more about her looks.

9. Tease me, please me

When I saw the title for this song, I thought for a crazy second that it would sound like cheap. pop-metal-esque,

since the title sounds like something Poison could have come up with in the future. But from the very first riff you

can hear this is not tha case. This is old school heavy metal all the way.

10. 666

The lase song of the album, 666, starts of with some wierd sounds, and a distorted synthesizer. After that, a slow

silent guitar tells you that this song will close the album with style. Which it does in many ways. But if you

dislike volcals being out of synch with the guitars, you might not like it as much as the ret of the album.

Hope you check out Metal on Metal. It's a great album which no 80's metal fan should miss.