Arsis - We Are The Nightmare

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
From a reviewer’s perspective, it’s regrettable that Arsis took the title of their newest album from the opener ‘We Are the Nightmare’, rather than from the seventh track, ‘Progressive Entrapment’. That particular song title would have summarized nicely this album, which appears to fall victim to the same evil which has inflicted so many metal musicians in the past.

There are many fine reasons to listen to this album: strenuous riffing, flashy guitar arpeggios, and lashings of impossibly fast fretboard runs with tightly executed successive triplets. Vocals are performed with conviction, a combination of later Schuldiner and Slaughter-era At The Gates. Production is crisp, clean and punchy. If the above is all the modern metaller is asking for in his shopping list, he can stop reading here - this disc contains these things in truckloads. Tirelessly the guitarists dash all over the fretboard, making sure they cover all bases in each song. You can imagine the two of them in the studio hammering down riff after riff: ‘Hey guys, listen to this riff’, says one of them, fleshing out an improvised F# diminished minor scale riff. ‘That’s pretty cool, now listen to these gnarly arpeggios i’ve pasted over the top of it’, says the other. Meanwhile an overstressed producer goes to work on his computer, attempting to arrange them into something resembling a song. Impossible - the cobwebs of melody are so built up around the individually constructed riffs that it’s impossible to arrange them into songs, because they weren’t designed with that purpose in mind. It’s a good bet that if the riffs were swapped around randomly, no one would notice. And so we get a series of individually interesting riffs amongst more or less directionless songs, each sprinkled with countless layers of sugared melody lacking any real emotion.

The inclination to be ‘progressive’ can occasionally lead to great things, but as is displayed here, progressive leanings must be put to good use – if not, the most talented musician’s skills will invariably go to waste. All that We Are the Nightmare seems to want to say is that Arsis: a) are scary and metal as fuck; b) can play their axes well; and c) have nothing better to do than to noodle around on the guitar endlessly for 40 minutes. Unfortunately for Arsis, there are other groups like Braindrill who can noodle longer, harder and faster. Sadly, noodling is all some metallers want in their music; meanwhile Arsis’ true fans undoubtedly appreciate them for their distinctive style. This band is clearly talented in more than just hammering out arpeggios –there’s a confident energy and uniqueness there missing from modern metal. Maybe it’s time now for Arsis to cast away the trappings of progressivism and to appreciate that they are actually at their best when their virtuosity is kept on a leash: “Sightless Wisdom” and ‘Overthrow’, for example, are relatively unambitious and so succeed where others don’t, because the simplicity allows a focus on clear-minded song development. These are good songs, not just cool bits and pieces. Whether Arsis’ music will leave a lasting impression on those who like to listen to music carefully, and not just as a quick-fix, will be better judged in a few years time, when more ‘progressive’ versions of Arsis’ craft leave them out-arpeggioed and ultimately forgotten by those who prefer virtuosity over music.

Hmm...I actually thought the riffs flowed together pretty well, at least from the 3 songs up on their myspace. But I appreciate the review, it's at least better than some on metal archives, which were basically, 'oh this record is technical, I can't understand it :cry: '

I actually think Arsis shows great originality in a metal world that is getting bland.
With the deathcore bands rulimg the scene, all I heard was how awesome Bring Me The Horizon's new album was going to be and how br00tal Despised Icon's breakdowns are.

And then this gem fell into my hands. I honestly believe that We Are The Nightmare is the metal album of the year.James Malone is both a versitile vocalist, as well as a gifted guitar player.

I don't know why excellent riffing and technicality deserve a bad review, but to those who you convince not to buy this pearl, I have pity for you, for you will miss out on an excellent, memorable album.

Why the hell are people dissing this album???? It is by far their best. The intro to Overthrown is amazing, along with Sightless Wisdom having more emotion than whatever terrible over-rated bands critics listen to have in their whole careers. Failure's Conquest definitely seals the deal. What MAKES Arsis so great is how WELL, yes, how WELL they put their songs together. bad review. If you didn't know better, after hearing Bach, you would think the exact same thing. Somehow you can interpret the opposite from complex interwoven parts that take the most difficulty to write. Anyways, you don't see Necrophagist getting this bad label, and their riffs are much more 'random'. Arsis is one of the unique bands that blends technical and melodic death metal like Quo Vadis and nobody else that I can think of right now