Any books or online resources to understand "technical" aspects of studio setup?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Meaning...

I'm a recording newb. I record at home through my G5 and Presonus Firebox. I want to understand how a modern pro recording studio is wired. Meaning, how the console performs in relation to all the outboard gear, how this gear is hooked up to the console to work accordingly, and which equipment is used to achieve this. I hope I'm being clear enough??

I just see these towering studio racks in control rooms, and want to have a better understanding as to how it is all integrated and used.

For example: If the breadth of modern recording engineers do the majority of their work on a computer, why the massive console? Controlling purposes? Any links/reccomendations are appreciated and I apoligize for my ignorance lol.

-Joe

There is one god almighty reference book that has explained an awful lot to me.

The engineers handbook - ed. Glen Balou, calling it a handbook is a joke the thing wont fit on my bookshelf let alone in my hand - a bit intense but if you follow it through it'll be the best £40 you'll spend.

You could also try Sound on Sound magazine....always has lot of useful guides, tips, insights into techniques etc. It will also give you something to look forward to each month too.

Their website sound-on-sound.com has alot of content from back issues over 6 months old available online.