Any Comments On This Mix?

Mike Moriarty

Oct 24, 2009
Just using Metal Foundry for the drums and the Eleven Rack for the guitars and bass. Using Ozone to master it. Any tips/comments are appreicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your levels are pretty good, man. You have something a little loose going on in the sub lows though, maybe around 50-55hz. If you have an EQ point on something there I'd back it off some but don't go too crazy cutting or the low end might start to fall apart on you.

Interesting to hear what people are getting out of Eleven, sounds pretty similar to a POD but better in some ways. Fuller, less of the harshness, etc. I've been away from amp sims for a while and haven't heard much of that unit. When you play into it do you like the way it reacts compared to an amp?

Thanks for the input dude. I noticed myself that there is something going on with the low end. When i tried to remove it exactly what you said to watch out for....happened...it started to fall apart. I'm going to try to mess with some hi pass eq settings a little more.

As for the Eleven Rack I love it. Its my main practice amp and recording tool. I had a POD before the Eleven Rack and i found it hard to get tones i liked. Not really a problem with the Eleven Rack. If something were to happen to it i would buy another. My only complaint would be that it gets a little noisy with high gain settings.

Don't overthink Hi pass filtering, around 35-40 on kick and bass and 60-80 on guitars will be fine. The rest needs to be done with notches most likely. If you are boosting down there back if off some, but if you aren't then here's the plan: Solo your instruments to figure out where the looseness is, then (with nothing soloed) make an EQ point at around -3db and sweep it back and forth in the lows slowly until you find what sounds the best. Then bring the gain down further until it starts to sound bad, and back it off until it sounds good again. Do the same thing with the Q/bandwidth. Afterwards, if you feel you have to, do this on both kick and bass in the low mids (100-350) but at different frequency points and they will lock together a lot nicer. If the low end falls apart you are cutting too much or with too wide a Q/bandwidth. This method is very precise and should help you quite a bit.

And as always, use your ears, concentrate, don't get frustrated and you will get better at this quickly :kickass:

The guitars are missing a bit of mids i guess. But if you wanted a Line 6 Insane type tone then i guess its okay. I still thought the guitars were a bit digital.

Don't overthink Hi pass filtering, around 35-40 on kick and bass and 60-80 on guitars will be fine. The rest needs to be done with notches most likely. If you are boosting down there back if off some, but if you aren't then here's the plan: Solo your instruments to figure out where the looseness is, then (with nothing soloed) make an EQ point at around -3db and sweep it back and forth in the lows slowly until you find what sounds the best. Then bring the gain down further until it starts to sound bad, and back it off until it sounds good again. Do the same thing with the Q/bandwidth. Afterwards, if you feel you have to, do this on both kick and bass in the low mids (100-350) but at different frequency points and they will lock together a lot nicer. If the low end falls apart you are cutting too much or with too wide a Q/bandwidth. This method is very precise and should help you quite a bit.

And as always, use your ears, concentrate, don't get frustrated and you will get better at this quickly :kickass:

Thanks a lot for the tips man i appreciate it. I will try that.