Any cricket fans here?

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
I guess there won't be too many but I'd like to pay tribute to Darren Gough (Yorkshire and England) who announced his retirement from the Test match arena today. Cheers Dazzler!

also Simon Jones play his first competitive game for Glamorgan 2nd XI (after his horrific knee injury 9 months ago in Australia) tomorrow. Good luck Simon

Gough is a true warrior but it is a shame that injury has taken its toll on him.

Hopefully the likes of Anderson, Hoggard and Flintoff can continue on and we actually beat the South Africa in the next couple of Tests.

Uhmm this would be a good idea but I think Smith would still smack them to all parts of the boundary, he's on fire at the moment :hotjump: But it doesn't help when he gets dropped on low scores and then punishes us for the mistake :yell:
Steve have made a pilgramage to the beautiful new Rose Bowl?? What about St Mary's, the Saints ground?? Two beautiful venues that Southampton can be proud of!!! I reckon Southampton will be do better than last year in the Priemiership. It's a pity my Forest boys failed to get up :yell:

Ormond doesn't have the pace to trouble top batsmen and I fear if the wicket is good and the ball doesn't swing he will be pretty useless. He has only taken 2 wickets in the 2 tests he has played before.

Kirby is a better opinion as he has pace, a good yorker and can get a bit of bounce. I'd like them to try him he has been 12th man too often. It is a shame Johnston and Hoggard are injuried as they would be perfect replacements.

A off-spinner would be a good idea but is their anyone good enough?

Off spinner choices.....

Gareth Batty (Worcs)
Jason Brown (Northants)
Robert Croft (Glam)

I'm not convinced by Richard Johnson at Test Match level.....in the same way as I'm not convinced by Anthony Mcgrath. Hoggard.....yeah when he's fit he'll be back for sure.

Jimmy Ormond would provide some control as I think England are desperate for a Glen McGrath or Shaun Pollock type bowler who can tie up one end.

I love Croft, a great character and he seems a really nice person . He is a good player but he never really took too many wickets at Test level when he did play. He should be in the one day team though, his batting would bring another dimension to the English team. I haven't really heard or seen too much about the others.

One off-spinner I do like is Richard Dawson of Yorkshire but he doesn't seem to be able to get in the Yorkshire team.

I agree about McGrath. I don't think he is good enough. Thorpe should be in the team. Hopefully he is fit enough to play.

Too be honest Flintoff should be the player to hold an end up. If you look at his one day record, he has been Englands most economical bowler in the past 12 months or so. He should try and bring this type of miserly bowling to the Test Arena. He would also probably take more wickets this way as well.

But hopefully whatever team they pick they will be able to come back into this test series. I'd love to see them beat the South Africans.

Well Gareth Batty...yeah I can agree with that. Ed Smith...well he's scored plenty of runs so I guess he deserves a chance. Glen Chapple.....interesting. If he gets his out swingers going he can be quite dangerous although it's probably a bit too late for him really, although his batting will strengthen the tail if selected.

Just coming back to Wooks' comment about new sports venues in Southampton. Yeah great stuff (although I'm a Liverpool supporter not a Saints fan due to being brought up in North Wales) and one day maybe Hampshire will have a cricket team worthy of the new ground! hehe!

Haha, the same can be said about my home team Nottinghamshire, great venue, a team that is growing with some great young talent. The same can be said about the stadium literally a stone's throw over the road at the City Ground. I just hope we can do better than than last year and consolidate on a great last season and go all the way this year. COME YOU REEEEEDS!!!!

Totally agree Steve, Ed Smith has looked class all season. At least you can watch the test live I can only watch the hightlights on Sky
yell.gif

England are in a pretty strong position. I only saw the last hours play and the wicket was playing a lot of tricks and England were unlucky not to pick up a couple of wickets. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day for England.

I think they will drop Giles and five seamers will play so I'm guessing Ali and Bicknell will both play. Just a shame Chapple is injuried as his bowling would suit Headingley and his battling would be a bonus for England.