Any fans of the more avant-garde, fucked up side of Jaaz on sneap forum?

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
I'm talking about stuff such as John Zorn's various projects (Painkiller, Naked City), Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Quintet, Massacre, the album "Soup" featuring Otomo Yoshihide, Bill Laswell and Yoshigaki Yasuhiro, Electric Masada, etc.

Anything where the music is rooted in improvisation, playing with textures and sounds rather than melody.

Anyone here into that sort of shit or is it just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dig this stuff alot...
got more then 100 cds of tzadik in my collection... :)

i also like the secret chiefs, tin hat trio, sleepytimegorilla and all kind of carla kihlstedt projects..

also very nice to listen to::
peter brötzmann projects
ken vandermark projects
mats gustafson,..

i used to like mike pattons projects too, but in the last years, i got my cup full it...so i dont listen to that anymore... ;)

cheers
chris

my bud played me a secret chiefs dvd the other day, awesome stuff
and yeah on the subject of mike patton, i feel the guy's losing it a bit now. You can't beat the early mr bungle stuff.

i was lucky enough to see the secret chiefs live 1 1/2 years ago at the music unlimited festival in wels/austria.

they were a blast, absolutly amazing, 15x better then on cd, so much energy, unbelievable.

search youtube for secret chiefs and mediaval...

i hope they releases the stuff that they played live on cd in some time..

+1 on the bungle stuff

i also forgot melt-banana, they are not so "jazz" but fit perfectly into our list :)

Naked City and Painkiller are very fun. I"m a hug John Zorn fan myself. His creative output rivals that of at least Zappa, and I'm a Zappa fan too. There are tons of various bands in avant-garde/jazz/fusion that are doing some very good stuff. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Unexpect are also good additions.

Dr. Nerve and Thinking Plague are excellent too. Ugh, too many bands to name really.

I fuckin' love Jazz influences in metal and other music. I usually don't listen to pure jazz but I definately don't have anything against it. Improv/free jazz is quite fucking awesome too.

But I like it the best when it's mixed in with other stuff, like Jamiroquai who mixes Funk, Jazz, Rock and Pop etc. I dig that more than most metal bands :) Also canadian metal band Martyr is very warm to my heart haha. They also have a lot of jazzy stuff in a technical death metal environment, it's crazy good!

I think my 'fun jam band' is a retarded version of this stuff. My buddy basically goes nuts with a Big Muff and a Hazarai pedal while me and the drummer kinda roam aimlessly. We don't have a keys or bass player yet though. It's different, I dig it. I'm more into the Canvas Solrais, MAUDLIN OF THE WELL kind of stuff. Not exactly the same. More metal, less jazz. I'm not a big fan of stuff like Miles Davis though I appreciate it for what it is. I love shit like School of the Arts and fusion albums with guys the likes of Lavitz, Gambale, etc.

I definitely think I tend to like tones and textures more than really technical stuff these days.

i love naked city´s torture garden ..when i first heard it i was mesmerized...radio is also very cool sounding