Any Insomnium fans - thoughts on new album

ConnieOH

Metal Lover in Ohio
May 9, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
www.last.fm
I know there are a few fans on the forum. This band is one that has really grown on me over the past year. I just got the new album and spun it for the first time today and think it's great. There are even some clean vocals on the 3rd track, and track 7 kicks ass right off the bat. Here's a video of track 2...

Has anyone read their tour blogs? Great stuff posted by the guitarist Ville Friman, he is funny as hell! Can't wait until their next tour for more tour blogging, lol.

Edit: not sure why the video is not showing, here is the link

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K003TNG40P8[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread was all the encouragement I needed to listen to Across the Dark a little more. I was kind of surprised by the clean vocals, but they seem to be well-placed. I also have to agree that "Into the Woods" is an awesome track. I think the one thing that they really excel in with their music is atmosphere. They need to come tour the U.S. Maybe when I have some free time I'll go check out the tour blogs.

I just got the new album and spun it for the first time today and think it's great.
Agreed, it was one of my most anticipated releases of 2009 and it didn't disappoint. I'm still unsure of exactly where I'd rank it compared to their other albums, other than I enjoy it more than "In the Halls of Awaiting". Did you get the limited edition with the two bonus tracks? One of them is a demo from the "Since the Day It All Came Down" sessions that later got re-worked into a song off of "Above the Weeping World" (the specific song it become is escaping me), but the other bonus track "The New Beginning" is awesome.

There are even some clean vocals on the 3rd track, and track 7 kicks ass right off the bat.
Jules Naveri's clean vocals are probably my least favorite aspect of the album, and not just because they're clean vocals - his voice just doesn't feel right in their music to me. I can't pinpoint exactly why I don't like them, but there's almost a whiny aspect to Jules's singing that doesn't sit right. I love Niilo's whispered clean vocals and would've been happier if they'd used that instead, but I can't knock them too much for trying something different.

Has anyone read their tour blogs? Great stuff posted by the guitarist Ville Friman, he is funny as hell! Can't wait until their next tour for more tour blogging, lol.
The blogs are awesome, I started reading it during their US tour in '07 and kept up with it during the recording process and Euro tour. Between the humor, pictures, and insight into the reality of touring, it ends up being a really interesting read.

I hope to hell they get a solid tour over here sooner rather than later, and that they get more than 30 minutes this time.

I discovered these guys a month or two ago, and have been listening to all four of their albums in pretty heavy rotation ever since. I'm pretty picky when it comes to death metal, but these guys are right up there with Dark Tranquillity as my favorites. One thing that bugs me a little with Insomnium is the sound mix; overall production is pretty good, except that the vocals are pushed too far back and sometimes get buried under the music. It's consistent across all four albums so I guess it must be intentional, but on some songs it bugs me.

Jules Naveri's clean vocals are probably my least favorite aspect of the album, and not just because they're clean vocals - his voice just doesn't feel right in their music to me. I can't pinpoint exactly why I don't like them, but there's almost a whiny aspect to Jules's singing that doesn't sit right. I love Niilo's whispered clean vocals and would've been happier if they'd used that instead, but I can't knock them too much for trying something different.
Definitely agree with this. I don't mind the clean vocals on "Lay of the Autumn" (the longest track), but the other two songs are pretty much ruined for me by the clean vocals. As you say, they sound whiny, not melancholy. But other than that, I think Across the Dark is a strong album (not strong enough to dethrone Since the Day It All Came Down as my favorite, though). I really hope they don't move more towards the clean/growl mix on future albums.

In 2006 they released this album with almost zero clean vocals and it was basically the greatest melodic death metal album I'd heard since the mid-90's. Killer, killer release it was.

I was fortunate enough to have seen their first ever U.S. show at The Pearl Room with Katatonia and Scar Symmetry. However I have yet to purchase this last album. It's on my list!

Hopefully they will tour the U.S. soon.

I was just thinking I needed to give the new album another listen like 5 minutes ago. Haha.

As for the clean vocals, I usually hate when bands with harsh vocals add clean vocals but I really liked the cleans in the new one.

Just saw this short interview with the band (with English subtitles!). Interesting what he says about not still playing metal when he's old. Wish he would have elaborated more on that point - what does he plan to do after Insomnium?

Last edited by a moderator: