Any news on Epica touring w/ Symphony X next month?

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
An update on 2/29 on Epica's web site still has them canceling dates due to Simone's health issues. But every listing for the upcoming SX / Epica / Into Eternity tour I've seen (on SX web site, forum, etc) still has Epica listed as being on the tour. Does anyone have the inside scoop on this? Is Epica still planning on coming with SX next month? I hope to see the show in Chicago on 4/13, and I'll be disappointed if Epica can't make it ...

Ken

An update on 2/29 on Epica's web site still has them canceling dates due to Simone's health issues. But every listing for the upcoming SX / Epica / Into Eternity tour I've seen (on SX web site, forum, etc) still has Epica listed as being on the tour. Does anyone have the inside scoop on this? Is Epica still planning on coming with SX next month? I hope to see the show in Chicago on 4/13, and I'll be disappointed if Epica can't make it ...

Ken
Last I heard from an Epica insider was this was a total go and very much embraced by the band. IOW, they were very excited and totally on the go w/it. So, plan accordingly. :headbang: I'm set for three show. No reason to think it isn't going to be all fucking phenomenal.

Ken

Certainly hope Epica makes the show, as I've been looking forward to this one for a while now.

Hope to see you there Ken.

I'm almost considering passing on this. First off, I find it frustrating that a band as talented as Symphony X can't manage to mix up their set list each night. And second, the fact they continue to play the most "Metal" songs from their discography, is a bit of a downer.

As for the support acts... pass.

Zod

I will not pass on any of these bands. I does look like Symphony has changed a few tracks for this tour which is nice...TtLG is not a "metal" song and worth the price of admition in its self.

I thought SymX had some kind of fan club poll to help determine the set list for this tour...? Of course, that might go the same way as Megadeth asking fans to help select their opening band....:heh:

I'm almost considering passing on this. First off, I find it frustrating that a band as talented as Symphony X can't manage to mix up their set list each night.

I don't see why this is a problem. They're a metal band, not a jam band. They decide on a basic setlist with a few tracks rotating and go on the road with it. If they had multiple nights in each city it would make sense to play different sets to encourage repeat visits. With one night in each city, they'll be playing to largely different crowds anyway.

the fact they continue to play the most "Metal" songs from their discography, is a bit of a downer.

This one I can see. I understand it makes sense to build their set list with easily accessible songs if they're an opener and playing to a crowd who is largely new to them and wants headbanging metal (i.e. Gigantour 1) but in a headline set it would be nice to hear some 'deep tracks' if you will, or more of their most melodically focused songs. It'd be pretty awesome if they did both Accolades consecutively. I saw them play Communion & the Oracle a few times which was cool, and Awakenings once which was really neat, but I'd also love to hear Candlelight Fantasia once. I could easily live with not hearing King of Terrors for the billionth time. Maybe Paradise Lost is in their new set list, I'd like that too.

I'm pretty excited to see them play once on their Boston date this tour. The place they're playing is a fairly short walk from where I live, so it's quite convenient. On the opening bands, I'm okay with IE but not a big fan, and I like Epica live (this'll be my third time seeing them) but not enough to buy their discography. It's been 3 years since I last saw Symphony X, and 5 years since I saw them in a headline slot, so I'm stoked mostly for them.

If I make it to this tour, it'll be the further-away-from-me Atlanta date, and here's why: I'd go to the Charlotte show on May 2, but the Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Keep of Kalessin tour is hitting ATL on the same day (May 2). If I had to choose between the two tours, it'd be the Dimmu tour, as I've seen every band on the SymX tour already...and while it would be awesome to see Epica again, if I can't make it to Atlanta two days in a row, it's just not gonna happen. Best case scenario for me (because I'm crazy): going to Atlanta two days in a row for two shows in a row...let's just hope my wallet can handle it. If I can only go to one show, though, expect my ass in the front row when Dimmu plays Progenies of the Great Apocalypse.

Last I heard from an Epica insider was this was a total go and very much embraced by the band. IOW, they were very excited and totally on the go w/it. So, plan accordingly. :headbang: I'm set for three show. No reason to think it isn't going to be all fucking phenomenal.
!I really hope they can still make this tour!:kickass: