Any of you playing the piano ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I have always been interested in knowing the basis of piano playing, and today was the first time I got into studying how work the scales, the basic chords, technic exercices, etc., for a first approach.

I wanted to know if there are some decent or good piano players here, who could tell us what is important to do/learn, for a decent guitar player who already knows how a partition works (but still has to think slowly and make efforts to read it).

:)

Real piano playings always been something I have a musical affair for me, then drop for a while. The frustration has always been too much for me. But I always end up coming back a little better.

But I know fuck all about playing piano, which has been of great benefit to my music, when i write something on piano it's just because its interesting, not because it sounds like anything I would normally play, because there's nothing I would normally play on piano.

I would to be able to play piano as well as I play guitar.

Every time I've sat down and tried to make a decent effort at doing something beyond noodling around nonsense and trying to learn the chords and stuff I eventually get the shits and don't bother.

It's weird to say but I think it's harder to learn an instrument when you can already play one. More specifically, it's hard to remain dedicated when you suck at something but are awesome at something similar. I observe the phenomenon in other facets of my life, like when I get annihilated playing games online and quit I immediately pick up my guitar. :lol:

What I am seeking is somebody who could tell exactly what is useful or absolutely mandatory to learn. Because, that's not the same things than in guitar. For example, in piano, if you want to learn a scale, you almost have to learn it in all keys... More or less because, as the piano is not as easy as guitar to transpose (we guitarists just have to move all notes one or several frets higher or lower), most pieces are written in a few keys only.

Also, piano maybe needs more theory to be applied on it. But I don't know to which extend.

You know, it's like, on a lot of guitar learning website, I read a lot of bullshit stuffs, so I'm a bit skeptical at what I can read here and there.

What I'm sure of, is that there is no limit in finger exercises, as in guitar.

I agree with the above. It's a bit strange to start from scratch when you are used to play solos from some guitar heroes, or when you are able to learn almost any metal song that is not too extreme to play :)

Your probably best finding a piano teacher and emailing them a question that starts with "if i book a lesson can you teach me this...." Honestly, I dont think piano needs anymore of anything than guitar. You just might need a helping hand to learn it, aspecially since your asking for help.

I play piano a bit.
More for my singer/songwriter skills.

First and most important thing is technique and correct fingering of chords and scales.
Get that shit sorted out and you should be good to from their on learning songs etc.
Instead of jumping right in and learning bad habits that may eventually lead to your wrists being fucked.

Basic theory of piano is quite easy.
Once you get a scale pattern down pat it is easy everywhere, same as guitar.
And if you already know your formulas you are already pretty much their, all you need then is to get the fingering right.

I think I have to learn the rules of piano fingerin. For example, if you look at the C blues scale, as there are 3 notes following themselves in the scale, I just can't figure out, even if I know how to "pass the thumb" in some scales, how to do in it following the same logic.

Is there any website showing most important scales in most important keys with the correct fingering ?

I started playing piano when I was about 3 years old. My grandmother played and I would mimic the melodies. As I got older and continued showing an interest in playing, she started showing me chords and teaching me songs. So from a very early age I started learning on an upright piano and also a hammond organ with upper and lower keyboards and foot-controlled bass pedals.
Learning piano first really helped me to understand guitar better once I started to take an interest years later and I'd imagine the hand-eye coordination of playing the organ from an early age also helped me to play drums more naturally as well.

I have a hate/love affair with the piano. It's one instrument that I hate to play (besides the point that i completely suck at it), but love to hear other people play it.

Dunno, give me guitar, drums, bass, your basic rock band instrumentarium and i'll be cool. but piano ? eh..

maybe it's becouse it's the first instrument I came in touch with and my parents wanted me to learn how to play it :devil:

I think I have to learn the rules of piano fingerin. For example, if you look at the C blues scale, as there are 3 notes following themselves in the scale, I just can't figure out, even if I know how to "pass the thumb" in some scales, how to do in it following the same logic.

Is there any website showing most important scales in most important keys with the correct fingering ?

I don't have any links, but one "rule" (as much as there are rules) is that your thumb (1) should stay on the white keys. C scale would be 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-5 (or back to the first finger on the scale, if you continue beyond the octave). The numbers indicate your fingers.

Some scales you have to start with your index finger (2).
For example, C#m scale would be 2-3-1-2-3-4-1-2 (c#, d#, e, f#, g#, a#, b(h), c#).

I don't have any links, but one "rule" (as much as there are rules) is that your thumb (1) should stay on the white keys. C scale would be 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-5 (or back to the first finger on the scale, if you continue beyond the octave). The numbers indicate your fingers.

Some scales you have to start with your index finger (2).
For example, C#m scale would be 2-3-1-2-3-4-1-2 (c#, d#, e, f#, g#, a#, b(h), c#).

I see about the thumb and white keys.

As you seem to be a player yourself, how would you do the fingering of :

C blues scale : C - D# - F - F # - G - A#

?

I see about the thumb and white keys.

As you seem to be a player yourself, how would you do the fingering of :

C blues scale : C - D# - F - F # - G - A#

?

1 - 3(or2) - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

D# position would probably depend entirely on your fingers' physique (lenght).
I use 3, because my middle-finger is almost 2cm longer than my index..

Think about where you are coming from and where are you going and what do you need to do to get there most efficiently. And that you are in a good position to continue from there.

But in the middle of a song, I wouldn't worry too much about the "proper way", just as long as I hit the right keys at the right time! :D

I really want to learn how to play the piano.. and sax. At my bands old practise room there was this old piano, and everytime I walked in the room I just wanted to shred some beethoven or some shit and be like "FUCK YEAH, SHREDDING TEH KEYZ BOY".. Instead I would just play the chinese thing.

Well just like you, I am just know how to play the piano. I am not considering myself as a good piano player. But I love piano music so I somehow think to enroll for proper lessons.

I sense a trend in this thread.. I also played for a few years, gave up, returned to it for a few years, then migrated from piano to xylophone to percussion to drum kit. I like messing around and creating interesting chords on piano (since I can't play any other melodic instrument) and it's been invaluable in terms of music theory and allowing me to compose, but its a really fucking hard instrument to play.

Our guitarist has been playing piano for like 12 years and he's really fucking good but, well, he's our guitarist and not our pianist because he also can't really be fucked playing piano.

Then I'll go against the trend... :)
I've started playing the piano at 7, took lessons for 11 years but also never stopped playing afterwards (except for some time later when I started learning the guitar).
Funny thing was that learning the guitar helped me get better at the piano. I think it had to do with always knowing how many half steps went into each interval, as afterwards it was much easier to transpose anything I wanted to play into any key.

Although I only play guitar and bass in my bands, I still consider myself a piano player at heart.

I agree on getting a teacher to learn good technique, better get it right from the start!