Any one know of a great annual european metal festival?

european as in "in europe" or as in european bands?

Wacken in german.
Bloodstock in the UK.
are the two big ones in europe that come to mind.

If you meant european bands in the US
Maryland Deathfest in US? idk how many european bands are playing.

Tuska Festival in Helsinki Finland is just pretty damn epic and evil and packed full of black shirts and bullet belts.

Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium is also very big and has a line-up you can't imagine.
Just google for the graspop line-up in 2007...

Tuska Festival in Helsinki Finland is just pretty damn epic and evil and packed full of black shirts and bullet belts.

The lineup aint that epic this year though :(
Gojira, Callisto, Neurosis, Amorphis, My Dying Bride and Stam1a. That's about all the bands I'd like to see.

Then there is this festival here in Gothenburg, but this year is incredibly lame with all these american wannabe shitbands like slipknot and disturbed and trivium, Marilyn Manson... etc.
Opeth, Meshuggah and Cult of Luna plays there though but I don't wanna pay 1300kr for seeing three bands.

I might just skip all festivals this year and go to Lapland this summer, lol.

Opeth will play here in Germany at the Summer Breeze-Festival, and the rest of the line-up is also pretty nice this year.

I agree to what the others said, Summer Breeze, Hellfest and Gods of Metal seem to be the best ones this year. Wacken is already sold out and the line-up is not that good this year.

From afar the Download Festival seems to be pretty damn awesome year after year.
Faith No More will be performing
And ofcourse the mighty Opeth

Hellfest
Wacken
Gods of Metal
these always seem to have some quality bands. I hear Metallica might play at Wacken next year.