Any recommendations for an audio production book for a beginner?

westonreed

New Metal Member
Feb 28, 2010
I'm looking for a book that will take me through the entire recording process. I have been on this site for about 3 months now and have learned a good bit already but there is still so much for me to learn and a book would be much easier for me. I really want to find a very in depth book that completely encompasses modern day audio production. Any recommendations?

I've only read Killer Home Recording, but it's awesome for a beginner.

I would recommend it, he's a little opinionated at times... but he certainly seems to know his shit.

It covers alot of stuff. I really liked how he went into detail about setting up PCs for recording (even though I use mac). It's probably one of the most frustrating aspects of recording but there's not really much information.

Other than that he covers all the main instruments in depth, once you finish reading it, you'll feel like you have a really good starting point at recording almost anything.

I don't think it's that it's so much the recording process itself is particularly hard, if that makes sense.
It's really a matter of knowing where to stick a mic in front of a guitar cabinet, know how to mic up a vocalist etc etc and there is only so much reading you read about these topics before it just gets to a point where the only way to really continue educating yourself on the matter is to actually try this stuff in the real world and constantly refine your techniques.
Honestly, there is pretty much all you need to know on this forum already on how to "record" stuff per se. How to stick a mic in front of an amp, general amp tweaking, mic-ing up drum kits, recording DI tracks for bass guitar, recording vocals, all that shit is covered extremely well on the forum already and there isn't really any reason to go any buy any books.

Now that you're fairly well read on the topics (but if you feel you're not, just keep reading around here), what separates you from the top around this forum is the ability to hear at a more advanced level and their level of experience.
There's a lot of ear development and this comes from just listening to stuff, not reading stuff, so get out there, grab that mic, mic shit up and tweak until stuff sounds good

If you are looking for a good primer on the subject of "Home Recording" in particular, one of the books that's been around for several years and I found quite helpful in my early forays into recording is "Guerrilla Home Recording" by Karl Coryat. While at times it's quite obvious that the author has learned his craft in a more analog time, he does talk about more modern recording techniques, but always references how it relates to analog gear. It is more from the viewpoint of a musician understanding what an engineer would be telling them and very accessible and well explained.

Is it the be all and end all of engineering books? No, but as an introduction I think it's an excellent book and I still find myself occasionally referencing it when I might have a question about some topics. Read the reviews and see if it might be what you are looking for.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Home-Recording-Studio-Matter/dp/0879308346[/ame]