Recommendations for a book or threads on tracking/mixing/mastering? (noob alert)

ahhh I see.

I've seen buttons labeled "pre" and "post" on stuff too. I figured thats what you were referring to.

Yeah, before and after. I DO know what that means. :headbang:

I'm heading into this completely green. I don't have any friends or family that do this stuff. No bandmates that know what they are doing.

I've poked around here long enough to know that the caliber of advice/knowledge at this forum seems higher than average...

So its time to get learning.

if you are trying to find an ugly eq range this is my method to find it: use a parametric eq and set the 'Q' really narrow and raise the value of the pitch all the way up, it'll look like a tiny spike on the eq... then move that spike back and forth across the eq range untill you hear the nasty frequency (trust me, you'll hear it cuz it'll hurt to hear) then once you find it widen out the 'Q' and make the eq cut untill it sounds just right

Some good advice here!

Another good book recommendation - 'PC Recording Studios for Dummies' by Jeff Strong (presuming you're using a PC)?

Starts with REALLY basic info, all the way up to the really complicated stuff - sounds ideal for what you're looking for.