Any retailers (or any of you guys) still selling Drumkit From Hell Superior?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
I'm trying to find somewhere to get ahold of DFHS. I know it's been discontinued but heard a few retailers are still selling it but can't find them. Do any of you know anywhere still selling it? or do any of you have a copy you can sell by any chance?

I have it and its basically brand new, i dont know what all i have to do to be able to sell it to you......i bought and since went to Slate drums...So i have no real use for it....i would be willing to work out a good price.....just shoot me a PM if interested

I'd say just wait for Superior 2.0. Though, if you find DFHS pretty cheap now, the upgrade to Superior 2.0 could be cheaper all together. I can't wait for 2.0 though, uber pumped.

Actually, there's quite a lot of people over on the Toontrack forum worried about there not being a big metal influence in the release of of Superior 2.0, and I see exactly why. They're dropping the "from hell" name, the logo, and a lot of the metal kits from superior, and the drummers they're using for it really have no involvement in metal whatsoever. It seems like they're trying to expand beyond the metal crowd, but at the moment they're kinda also dropping the metal crowd altogether, which I hope they change later on....

The toontrack rep guys are saying eventually they want to record with haake again, and that they will re-release the metal packs from superior for superior 2.0, but it won't be for the release of superior 2.0..... so it'll be quite a while probably. and actually it'd be a lot cheaper to just get superior now and then use the upgrade price to get superior 2.0 if you wanted to later.

I have it and its basically brand new, i dont know what all i have to do to be able to sell it to you......i bought and since went to Slate drums...So i have no real use for it....i would be willing to work out a good price.....just shoot me a PM if interested

Cool, I sent you a PM. Try to find out about transferring ownership of it. I'm pretty sure that you can do it.. I think I've seen some people on ebay a while back selling it and mentioning stuff about transferring ownership...

Nope, you can check out the kits on the S2.0 webpage and there is literally nothing for metal musicians. I don't know an awful lot about drumkits but when I don't see any Sonor, Pearl or Tama stuff on there it makes you wonder. I'd be pissed if all they did was re-released old stuff repackaged for the metal guys. I'm still a bit annoyed that they did this for Ezdrummer and the DFH add-on. If and when I look to upgrade from DFH I'll be more inclined to go with Addictive Drums than S2.0.

What I don't get either is that they seemed to have re-recorded the same bits of kit at various studios, the Ludwig Black Beauty for example. Why? Surely people would rather get their hands on a different snare altogether than having the mild tonal choice of which studio your chosen snare was recorded in. Its not like one recording was done in a random basement and another at Avatar, it'll sound good no matter.

Wow, I'm really glad you guys are bringing this to my attention - so you're saying that getting Superior 2.0 this summer would not be the wisest course of action? I've used the EZD DFH expansion and definitely was not a fan, so that's out, and all the AD stuff I've heard here is good but the kicks always sound too thin. Godammit, I just want an easy fucking all-in-one braindead drum solution where all I have to do is click in beats in the piano roll, hit the spacebar, and have perfectly mixed (except for levels) awesome metal poundage erupt from my speakers - is that so much to ask?

Wow, I'm really glad you guys are bringing this to my attention - so you're saying that getting Superior 2.0 this summer would not be the wisest course of action? I've used the EZD DFH expansion and definitely was not a fan, so that's out, and all the AD stuff I've heard here is good but the kicks always sound too thin. Godammit, I just want an easy fucking all-in-one braindead drum solution where all I have to do is click in beats in the piano roll, hit the spacebar, and have perfectly mixed (except for levels) awesome metal poundage erupt from my speakers - is that so much to ask?

What so without you doing any kind of mixing at all? I don't think anyone could could produce a set of drums that would fit into any song perfectly, you are always going to need to eq/comp at the least to get it to sit with everything else. And if you don't want to do any mixing then S2.0 is the last thing you should have bought anyway, as its all raw sounds, no pre-processing unlike EZDrummer (although I still edit the shit out of that as well).

I didn't say I had it yet, I said I was planning on getting it (and now reconsidering) - and while obviously there are certain eq/comp/fx tweaks that need to be done depending on the other stuff going on in the song, I don't think it's too much to ask for the samples to still be pretty processed or at least have good presets for them (for example, the kick already pretty clicky and tight, which I feel the EZD DFH kick was lacking, especially on the tightness part). More than anything else, I wanna use this for my own song writing/recording, where I'll always have the same guitar tone (cuz I'm gonna be using Revalver) and thus won't need to change anything.

I don't think it's too much to ask for the samples to still be pretty processed or at least have good presets for them (for example, the kick already pretty clicky and tight.....

Andy Johns & Joe Barresi expansions for BFD are in that ballpark as they have *some* comp/eq processing applied but not to the point where you can't further tweak them yourself . The Andy Johns samples have some quite clicky kick drums that'll do the trick.

Unfortunately, that would mean switching to BFD though which doesn't have a good rep around here (I like it for non-metal stuff) compared to DFHS. I own both the AJ/JB expansion packs and love 'em, but hate the stock BFD samples. My preference switches between DFHS, C&V and the BFD expansions depending on the project. All have their uses though.....I'm a drum sampler slut!

Just go Slate. You'll be glad you did.

Jeff

thanks for the kind words. here are some hard rock metal demos right out of the stereo Kontakt:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/DreamKit2.wav

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/PantyKit.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/METALLICA3.wav

we also have about 4 or 5 more metal kits that aren't "modeled" kits

I think the new DFHS 2.0 demos sounded nice. The kits in BFD2 are also great, and its out now. All of our kits will compatible with BFD2 around late June.

I think you should reall check out the slate stuff. It does the job. I barely have to touch mine to get it slammin.

I use the Metal kit with a double on the snare and it sounds killer. The only thing I'm adding is some VERY mild eq and a little compression on the buss to melt it all together.

I had Ezdrummer BFD and DFHS and haven't touched any of them since Loading up the Slate library.

thanks for the kind words. here are some hard rock metal demos right out of the stereo Kontakt:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/DreamKit2.wav

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/PantyKit.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/METALLICA3.wav

we also have about 4 or 5 more metal kits that aren't "modeled" kits

I think the new DFHS 2.0 demos sounded nice. The kits in BFD2 are also great, and its out now. All of our kits will compatible with BFD2 around late June.

This shit just fucking wins, what can I say? I pick up an old-assed version and you send me the new shit as soon as it comes out for the cost of postage... and it sounds good.

Jeff

Actually, I'm looking forward to the "non-metal" kits to mess around with. Really, you can make any kit sound "metal" with some eqing, samples, or just in the situation the drums are in. Plus, I guess I already have my "metal" kits with the older version, plus the new addition with 2.0, it's gonna own.

The people with DFHS upgrading to Superior 2.0 are getting the best deal since they'll be able to use all the DFHS sounds with the ease of the Superior 2.0 engine. The rest will have to wait for an indefinite period to see if any metal kits will surface.