Drumkit From Hell 2

_RiseInside_

Sep 28, 2003
Portugal
HI guys

I´m going to produce my band´s demo during Xmas. The drummer will use his acoustic drums. Nevertheless, sampling is required (the drums are no Dw, the room sound isn´t good, i have no nice preamps)

So i bought the drumkit from hell 2 and to my surprise there are no wave files in the cd... damn :| I wanted to use them with aptrigga that i also own.

The extension of the files is .nks and .nki

i know it is suposed to use them in native instruments kompakt ( the vsti that comes along in the package) but i really wanted to use aptrigga.

Is there a way to "convert" them into wave ?

or

There´s no way to do such thing and i must use Ktdrumtrigger to convert audio into midi so kompakt vsti will work ?

thankx in advance

_RiseInside_ said:
i know it is suposed to use them in native instruments kompakt ( the vsti that comes along in the package) but i really wanted to use aptrigga.

Is there a way to "convert" them into wave ?

I think you'd be much better off converting the recorded drums to MIDI (I'm not sure if it's possible, but if you could record the MIDI output of your soft trigger, then that would be it) and then passing it thru DFH2. AFAIK DFH2 varies the samples on the same velocity, so the consecutive hits on velocity 115 won't sound the same, as they would with the conventional samples and samplers.
I think it's a feature worth using and you would lose it by simply extracting the waves... Even if aptrigga has that variable sample feature, it could still be a major pain in the ass converting all that. Not to mention the control over the room drum sound in DFH2 and mic bleeds and whatnot...

Hmm, this sounds good. So you record the acoustic drums, then convert to midi, then feed DKFH2, and this program has all the adjustments you need?

Would you quantize the drums before you resample with DKFH2?

Can you use the control panel in DKFH2 and use your own samples or would it be better to use APTrigga or Drumagog for this?

Colin

I think you'd better use Drumagog or preferably KTDrumTrigger (because it's free and much reliable according to the tests I did) if you want to use your own samples. APTrigga only replaces your wav with another wav, no midi... You could load then your samples in any soft sampler (battery, kontakt, halion or whatever you have at your disposal) and still have a lot of control on the quantizing, velocity etc, since it's all midi. At least this is how I do it.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
I think you'd better use Drumagog or preferably KTDrumTrigger (because it's free and much reliable according to the tests I did) if you want to use your own samples. You could load then your samples in any soft sampler (battery, kontakt, halion or whatever you have at your disposal) and still have a lot of control on the quantizing, velocity etc, since it's all midi. At least this is how I do it.

Do you mean that these two softtriggers have a MIDI output that could be configured as a MIDI input for whatever sampler? If so, it's just what I was hoping they could do... :)

SickBoy Do you mean that these two softtriggers have a MIDI output that could be configured as a MIDI input for whatever sampler? If so said:
correct me if i´m wrong but drumagog works like aptrigga: it replaces the sound using samples. Ktdrumtrigger works by converting the audio signal into midi notes.

Yes SickBoy, that's exactly it.
RiseInside, you're not wrong, Drumagog does work like ApTrigga but also has a midi out which you can use easily.

You can download KTDrum Trigger here (http://koen.smartelectronix.com/), it's free and is much more accurate than Drumagog, though the User Interface is not very user -friendly. Just insert it on a kick, or snare, or whatever track (you can even use it on a whole drumkit) and create a new midi file with KTDrum Trigger as a Midi In in your sequencer. Works like a charm ! (No, I am in no way affiliated with them ;)).

Since were on the subject maybe Brett or others could clarify some things for me. First of all who is getting their trigger hits directly from the Ddrum trigger itself with no brain? If you do this, does it give you better variances in velocity? Why do this if you can just use the brain and any sample, then replace later?

And what use would I have for the KT drumtrigger thing if I'm recording death metal drums? Now, I can see writing your drums in MIDI and replacing them with real samples later and overdubbing toms. Thats cool when you dont have an able drummer but you have a programmer. But why would I convert all my kicks, toms, snares, etc to midi? So I can quantize? Once Ive done this, what do I do with the drums. If I sync the MIDI tracks with the pre-recorded drumkit and I have done a lot of editing, well then the cymbals will be off.

Why would I not just replace my hits with good samples, mix them with the real toms, etc and edit all the drums together so all timing and corrections will work together, etc?

Colin

This whole concept and process is less for quantization, and more for compensating for inferior rooms and mics. For example, if one can't get a decent sounding kick, and doesn't have the money for a module, but can afford the cash for triggers themselves(though you really don't need triggers either though), then they record the triggers or crappy mic signal, then replace the hits with samples, via the soft-modules. As far as converting these to MIDI, RiseInside's problem is that he doesn't have the samples themselves. He has the Drumkit From Hell 2 built-in sampler with the samples integrated inside it, making it impossible to trigger the samples directly via Drumagog or one of the other plugins. So, he uses one of these plugins to convert to MIDI, which will then be able to utilize the Drumkit From Hell 2 samples.

Vile_ator, NEVER EVER quantize the midi track you got from triggering your drums (would it be kicks, snares or toms). This would lead you to a lot of problems since your audio would not be in sync with your trigs. Triggering is only a way to get better sounding drums (in the metal genre) if you can't have a decent one with your micing or if the drumkit sounds too bad, but Exsanguis explained it perfectly before.

Right guys. Yeah I understand the idea behind triggering and why. I do it myself with my productions. I was just trying to milk some details about various techniques there are out there.

I didnt realize that DKFH 2 will only let you use MIDI notes to activate their samples. Can this be true?

Colin