Any Sennheiser e609 owners?

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
Im looking for a new mic... what you guys think of your Sennheiser e609? I already hav Sm57 will it have a different flavor(in a good way)?

Have any of you used it in snare???

Tell me your opinion on this mic :headbang:

I have used it on guitars, I like it, but it's different. A lot of people dislike it. Ryan did a shootout with a 57/i5/e609 (I own all three as well) and the e609 was the least favored. I've used it with good results, but it comes down to taste and application.

I've got a E906, and used a E606 (European E609) pretty extensively at college.

Generally they're pretty aggressive in the midrange. They sound really nice mixed with a 57 imo. And as said they're good on snares too, (one of my best snare sounds was 57 top 906 bottom) got a tight pattern so spill is pretty low. Also used them on rack toms with good results.

I've found it to be very good for micing smaller toms - never tried it on a snare though. The 421 definitely whoops up on it for larger toms though.

It's an OK mic. I own 3. It fits in it's price range, and doubles as a good tom mic. But I would buy a 57 over an e609.

If you're using a lot of different guitars, amps and cabs it's a very useful mic. Sometimes a 57 just won't work and the E609 will. If you deal with the same setup all the time, it's not very necessary, but it's fun. Great on toms, works well on all sizes. Not the best for snare, it hangs too far over the drum. Sometimes it's pretty cool on vocals. It's a pretty versatile mic.

So hearing it from you guys i think ill pass from this mic..haha

But yea sounds very interesting for toms but i don't think it will be worth buying 3 of them.

For me nothing beats the sm57 clones that i have( ES-57) Highly recommend them for you guys if you guys need some :)

Ditto what the guys have said on mixing it with a 57. By itself it's not too pretty. I don't mind using them for live sound though, those mids really help cut through the mix.

The MD409 is an amazing mic, I got the chance to use one in the studio for Recabinet 2.0. I wish Sennheiser still made them, NOTHING they make today comes anywhere close. Perhaps somebody makes a clone?

The only modern mic (besides a 57) that really stands out to me for metal is the Royer 121, but it's pricey as well. With a good mic pre, you can get a lot of mileage out of a 57 or two if you're on a budget.