Suggestions for a single mic setup

guitarklown

Sep 2, 2009
Hey people's, I currently have only 2 mics, a GLS ES57 and an Apex condenser (I have spent nothing in this area) I'm wondering, for a single mic recording setup, should I buy a legit SM57, a Sennheiser e609, or something else within the $150 price range.. I've read many reviews on the comparison of the es57 to the sm57, but I'm leaning towards the fact that it's just close for damn cheap. I can hear distortion in it when I record so I'm thinking the spl rating isn't what they claim it to be. I do have the ability to record 2 mics at a time with my emu 1616m, but would rather just have a single mic than pair a good mic with a crap one.

Thanks again for any input.

If you only can use one mic, get an SM57. It's great on guitar amps and it can also be used on vocals and acoustic guitars with useable results.

I think that exceeds his 150$ budget a bit :)

Yeah, that a liiiitle over the budget.. There hasn't been much feedback yet, but there's probably a billion pages on this question alone. I'm just thinking, would going out and buying an SM57, already owning an ES57, which is supposedly very similar to the SM57, be wise? Would I be better off maybe picking up something else? I really like the look, and just the convenience of hanging the Sennheiser E609.. but there doesn't seem to be much love for that mic.

Another vote for the 57 here. Thousands of dollars on guitar mics later, it's still my go-to for rock guitars. It doesn't always sound amazing solo'd, but something about the way it's voiced just makes it fit perfectly in a mix.

If you want the convenience of being able hang the mics, get the Granelli Labs G5790. It's an SM57 modified to an "L" shape, which makes it easier to position and allows you to hang it without a stand if needed.

Oh, and the e609 is a terrible guitar mic (I used to have 3 of them that I used on toms). Avoid it.

Don't settle. Get a57. You want a 57 sound, get one. Unless you're on a time frame, there's no reason to regret having one.