Recording drums on a limited budget/resources - Mic Suggestions

Tried this, it's awesome. From a one mic recording, I was able to get the snare and kick drum, and I'd say it was about 95% correct. I reckon I'll try and get a kick and snare track recorded, and trigger the both of them, and then get the drummer to record cymbals and tom's over it. I might program the tom's, could be better.

:D

Seriously consider recording an e-kit with real cymbals (2 overhead mikes). If you can borrow (or buy used and sell afterwards) an e-kit and the drummer is willing to record this way, you'll have a much easier life and chances are that the results will be much better sounding (considering it is a metal record - I wouldn't record a blues or jazz drummer this way ;)).

Looks like this is how I'm going to go ahead now. I'm able to get a loan of an ekit so I'm going to use that for the shells (using superior drummer), and then use 2 condensers for the cymbals.

Being so easy and good sounding to program drums, why would you want to record metal drums with 2 inputs??

I've been using drum programs for my own stuff, but this is the first time that I've recorded music for other people. The guys had pretty much said that they didn't want to use programmed drums, and I wasn't sure how well I could go with using 2 mics. Look's like tough luck for them though now though :p

I'm going to use an ekit to record the midi for the shells in superior drummer, and I'll record 2 overheads for the cymbals

Stereo overheads. Get a VERY even image of the kit. Program the rest of the drums to be in time with the overheads and strictly follow the same patterns as the live recording. Then brutally high-pass the overhead tracks to clean up the low-end mush.