What equipment did you first have when recording actual drums?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Im trying to break out of using amp and drum simulation.

My next few investments:
Sm57 mic: from what most of you said this is a great mic to use when trying to learn the art of micing a guitar/bass amp even vocals.
Sm7b mic: I hear this is a good mic for vocals.

Okay so that takes care of that. What about drums? exactly how many mics?

so far i know that i will need:

Kick mic 1
Snare mics +2
Overhead mics + 2
Hi Hat + 1
Toms +1
total = 7 mics ?

So i will be needing 7 microphones and obviously an interface with minimum 8 xlr inputs? so will buying an interface with 8 xlr inputs do just fine?

How did you guys first start off? someone told me to buy the beta52+3sm57 mic drum kit and use it like this

"Bass drum: Beta 52
Snare: SM57
Overhead toms: SM57
Floor tom: SM57
The SM57's pick up the cymbals"

what are your opinions? how did you first start off? i have my eye on this an interface like this one
http://line6.com/toneportux8/specifications.html

I close mic every tom individually, you'd probably get a ton of bleed micing rack toms with just one mic. Also I prefer not using the same mic model on both sides of the snare, for example you could use an sm57 on the bottom and an audix i5 on top (can't have too many sm57s though).

This setup works for me:

kick mic 1 (though you can be creative and add more)
snare mics 2
tom mics one for every tom
overhead mics 2
optional mic for close micing the hh, but to be honest I get enough of that in the overheads so I would rather throw it on the ride or something.
room 1-2 mic(s)

The last two would obviously require more than 8 inputs, I've no idea about the TonePort interface but surely there has got to be something better for the price unless they became cheaper since the last time I saw one. Your mic choices seem fine, but I'd probably try to get my hands on some condensers for the overheads.

Kick: Audix D6
Snare: top Shure SM57 + pretty much anything goes at bottom
Toms: Sennheiser e604 per each drum
Overheads: Oktava MK012
Hihat: SM7b
Ride: some cheap condenser pencil, under the bell
China: something that doesn't sound like ass, I've been fond of the Röde M3 (it's very AKG C1000 like in sound)
Room: a pair of some chinese cheap ribbon mics (t.bone, air, mxl, superlux, nady, oktava, apex... But don't pay more than 200 for a pair)

So the track list would be something like:

01 kick
02 sn top
03 sn btm
04 tom 1
05 tom 2
06 tom 3
07 tom 4
08 hh
09 ride
10 china
11 oh L
12 oh R
13 room L
14 room R

If you want to narrow it down to 8 tracks:

01: kick
02: sn top
03: tom 1
04: tom 2
05: tom 3
06: tom 4 / hihat / sn btm
07: hihat L
08: hihat R

Im trying to break out of using amp and drum simulation.

My next few investments:
Sm57 mic: from what most of you said this is a great mic to use when trying to learn the art of micing a guitar/bass amp even vocals.
Sm7b mic: I hear this is a good mic for vocals.

Okay so that takes care of that. What about drums? exactly how many mics?

so far i know that i will need:

Kick mic 1
Snare mics +2
Overhead mics + 2
Hi Hat + 1
Toms +1
total = 7 mics ?

So i will be needing 7 microphones and obviously an interface with minimum 8 xlr inputs? so will buying an interface with 8 xlr inputs do just fine?

How did you guys first start off? someone told me to buy the beta52+3sm57 mic drum kit and use it like this

"Bass drum: Beta 52
Snare: SM57
Overhead toms: SM57
Floor tom: SM57
The SM57's pick up the cymbals"

what are your opinions? how did you first start off? i have my eye on this an interface like this one
http://line6.com/toneportux8/specifications.html

Bare minimum I'd start with is 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 mic for each tom and a kick mic (or you could just trigger for the kick, chances are it's going to be replaced anyway right?)

Snare/tom mic's don't need to be expensive. I5's or SM57's will do the job (I prefer I5's personally)
Condensers for overheads, sdc's are popular around here but you could get a set of ldc's instead so they would double up as vocal mic's.

I wouldn't bother with that toneport. Get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or a M-Audio Profire 2626 as you'll be able to add more preamps in future by using the ADAT and SPDIF inputs.

Bare minimum I'd start with is 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 mic for each tom and a kick mic (or you could just trigger for the kick, chances are it's going to be replaced anyway right?)

Snare/tom mic's don't need to be expensive. I5's or SM57's will do the job (I prefer I5's personally)
Condensers for overheads, sdc's are popular around here but you could get a set of ldc's instead so they would double up as vocal mic's.

I wouldn't bother with that toneport. Get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or a M-Audio Profire 2626 as you'll be able to add more preamps in future by using the ADAT and SPDIF inputs.

+1
This is the exact setup I'd recommend for a starter. I certainly wouldn't recommend the toneport, the saffire pro 40, profire 2626, MOTU 8pre and presonus 1818 are all great interfaces.