250 EUR to blow on a Kick mic. Suggestions?

Let it burn...

Orgasm Donor
Oct 22, 2007
Belgium
I'm in the search of my first kick mic. Until now, I've been renting mics to do drum recording but business is going good and money is coming in.

So I've got a lot of money to blow on mics and 250 of that is for a nice kick mic. Now I know the D6 is the talk of the town around here but I'm searching for something that's really versatile since I also do a lot of regular rock stuff.

I've been using a Beta 52 on my last sessions and it is really picky on what kind of kick I'm recording. Sometimes it sounds awesome but I've also had it sound like muffled shit. It's great as a kick-out mic though.

I've used a Beta 91 in the past and I really like it as a kick-in mic. But I'm searching for an "overall" kick mic that has some body too.

And don't even mention the piece of shit called the D112 here :p

So Sneapsters, help me out here!

If you want something that can do rock as well as metal I'd highly recommend the Sennheiser E602.
Has a big low end and a fairly wide mid scoop. Stick it just inside the soundhole and it does rock with very little tweaking, for metal you have to get a little more aggressive with the eq.
The 902 seems a bit more clicky from what I've heard of it, but again not super scooped instant clicky metal compared to a D6.

Audio Technica ATM25 is also good for rock kicks I think, though it's discontinued now. Chances are the ATM250 sounds similar though.

I don't know why some people don't like the Beta52A. I find it pretty versatile, depeding A LOT on positioning, drumheads and tuning. It's not very scooped so you can get a very nice 'funky' sound if you need, but also a metal-ish kind of tone with some (sometimes a lot of) EQ.
For versatility I'd never recomend the D6 though, as you have already stated. I have one but only use it on specific cases.
I never played with Sennheisers and could never throw and opinion since I've heard some very nice and some horrible clips with it.

mhh. I may have to look into the beta 52 again. I could save some money that way and maybe buy a Heil PR30 with the extra funds :). I also tried the 602 and I'm not that much of a fan. Sounded great on bass amps but that was kinda it for me.

Thanks for the responses guys!

the sennheiser e902 is super scooped. its designed for a phat modern kick sound without the need of heavy eqing.

I've been mostly using a Beta 91 or Beta 52 with a Subkick for the last five years or so (with the occasional D112, MD421, etc.) on kicks and have been happy - BUT:

I just bought a Sennheiser e901 and it's AMAZING. It's a boundary mic like the Beta 91 but it sounds more natural than the Beta 91 and has better low end and attack. I'd recommend it for anyone doing rock/metal, you'll never look back.

alright, just ordered a Beta-52 from thomann and a Heil PR-30 from the belgian retailer. I'm really curious about the Heil. It gets a lot of praise on guitar amps and snare and it's Kurt Ballou's go-to mic.

audix d6 or beta 91, or both.

if you have another kick mic already i would go for the beta91. if you don't own a bd mic or have a pmz (like the beta91) already go for the d6.

d6+91 = kicks the shit out of every bass drum out there