recording hacks kick drum mic shootout (28 mics)

Miktek click is great! I really liked the solid low thud of the MXL too. Heil PR40 is really slappy and present yet still sounds quite natural.

My favorite was the RE320. Wasn't perfect but with a little EQ could be amazing. It had a unique sound to it, not dull and lifeless like so many other mics get. The Beta's I thought were passable, if I was on a budget I'd use them but if money was no option I wouldn't. Just no character to them IMO. The Miktek was cool but don't know if I'd want it. It just seems to really lack the low end that the bass drum puts out, and again IMO seems to be more common in todays metal. I want a big low end thump with some click, not the other way around. Still a cool mic regardless. The SM57 I though was just awful.

Bought a MXL A55 Kicker based on this, used it at a gig last night and had some really positive comments from the drummers that played. Not bad considering the drum kit was abysmal!

Man, that Miktek was pretty cool! REALLY surprised by that Avantone Mondo, though - I think that one was my favorite. The D6 and MXL Kicker were also pretty sweet. Really dig the Beta 52, as usual :p

Cheers for this.
I will have a listen in the studio tomorrow.
You do realize that most of the sneapsters would try these 28 mics then replace with slate 10 :lol:

great shootout... still love the d6, but there were some interesting ones in there..... and the d112 still sucks!

great shootout... still love the d6, but there were some interesting ones in there..... and the d112 still sucks!

I went back through the blind shootout the other day taking notes, for each clip. For one of them I just wrote ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Of course it turned out to be the D112 :lol: Horrible kick mic.

PM11 is a CLEAR winner here if you're looking to go ALL NATURALE' in a Metal Drum Mix.

HOLY FUCK.

Still love the D6 but god DAMN GIVE ME A PM11!!!!!!

I almost want to rip those 4 hits at the beginning because they sound so good!

haha, CJ you could if you wanted, they give the WAV's for all of them. That miktek rules but I think the mxl is actually the all around team player here :)

nah wayyyyyyy dude! the MXL does sound great and I wouldn't mind having one in the mic locker for different projects, but the PM11 is just, 80% THERE.

I don't like the phasing issues though when the whole kit comes in, it all kinda drops out. Miktek claim the mic is meant for someone looking for a totally flat sound but, LULZ to that one.

I'LL TAKE BOTH PLEASE.

=D

EDIT: Also really digging the Heil PR40... would be great for indie or hipster type rock. Really captures the 'essence' of the drum with a VERY unique sounding attack.

The PM11 is on the verge of being TOO brutal, hahaha.

Plus, the MXL is only $100!!!