Home Studio setup help?

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok I have desided its time to start seting up a small home studio. My plans for now are to just start with doing demos.

So at present i only have :
M-Audio 2496
Digi 001
Small Behringer mixer
DI And a SM57 mic.

These are what i know i need... Extra mic pres, drum mics, Vocal mics, another guitar mic (for other options).

So i am after your opinions on what i will need plus best mic pres, mics etc for the cheapest prices. I dont wont to sell my soul for this shit.

Have been looking at a SMPro 8 mic pre for the extra channels on my digi then
add another 8 pre via adat later. Any opinions on the SM?

hey man, my advice on this one would be that you can never have to many 57's, you can use it on practicly anything with amazing sounds: guitars, bass, toms, snares and who knows what more! so if you ever want to expand it never hurts to have some 57's around. I use the presonus firepod myself and really like it; don't know a lot about other 8 pre interface's, sorry!

rob

Well suggest stuff just to get me started with tracking a full band. So drums 2 guitars and bass... then vocals separate (just in case bands wont to do it this way).
Im guessing i will need say 5 channels for drums then 1 each for the gits and bass. Are drum mic packs descent?

Most drum mic packs suck. The Audix DP 7 is pretty sweet though. Features an I5 for snare, a D6 for kick, 2 D2s and a D4 for toms, and a pair of condensors for overheads, for about $900. You might want to add a hypercardiod small diaphragm condensor for hi hats, and maybe a couple more tom mics depending on what kind of drum kits you intend to mic up.

I'm having trouble getting started myself. I know a fair amount about some equipment, but am still unsure about a lot of things, just for example stuff like impulses/reamping and mixing/transporting. I know that Pro-tools is widely used which is why i would use it just so I can transport my tracks to a buddies house and fix it there, or a professional studio or something. But so far, out of uncertainty I haven't even made a purchase yet. I don't know if I should get a presonus product (such as the firestudio or the likes) or an mbox and hook a small mixer up to it. Any help would be appreciated!