General purpose mic for home studio.

sam14

Tard
Aug 22, 2011
Hi guys, I have frazzled my brain researching this so I thought I would ask for some opinions here.

I am after a single mic solution for my home studio, I want to start recording acoustic guitar, and I have a few vocalists lined up for studio time should I get a mic (a mixture of screaming and singing).

The mics I have been seriously looking at are:
Rode NT2-a
AKG Perception 420
Shure SM7b

I know the Shure is a well known mic for vocals, but would it be a viable mic for home recording an acoustic guitar?, and does anyone have any opinions on the other mics? I like the idea of the variable polar patterns on the AKG and the rode.
My interface is a Cakewalk UA-25ex.

Thanks in advance. :)

Haven't had much luck with an acoustic guitar on the sm7b. Does distorted guitars quite well though.

Try an Oktava MK-012 with a Red capsule (their Blue microphones copy.)
Great mic even without that extra capsule though, but it optimizes it for vocals. In fact, there are a plethora of different capsules for the MK-012 :lol:. But seriously, that mic is THE best condenser I have used for under $1000 (With the exception of a KSM32)

Awesome cheers guys, however I should point out that I don't live in a large town and I can only really try out the "bigger" brands, nobody here stocks anything else.

Awesome cheers guys, however I should point out that I don't live in a large town and I can only really try out the "bigger" brands, nobody here stocks anything else.

You'll probably only find the Oktava I recommended online. Go used and save some serious cash. I bought a matched stereo pair b-stock of those mics for $400. You'll have to get the extra capsules separately though.

I know, it sucks not being able to try out stuff before you buy, but that's why you consult people with honest opinions like us and listen to clips. There are plenty of samples on here

Are the extra capsules essential? are there any I should look out for, besides the red one you recommended?

AT4040 is a brilliant all purpose mic. Great on vocals and guitar amps, I've no doubt it can do well on acoustics too as I've used 4050's on them before and the 4040 is pretty similar.

3 votes to the 4040, looking promising!
Will I miss the lack of polar patterns?, for example i was leaning towards the rode in omni mode for gang vocals?

Used to own the 4033 Mark(Metaljonesy) has it now. It was a great mic for vocals/acoustic guitar/room mic/additional mic on a cab.

Going to get another one when the cash flow isn't so fucked :)

I'll admit having something with the option for an omni pattern would be really good for doing gang vocals.
If you could stretch a bit more to the 4050 then that would be a really good decision. You'd be sorted for practically any mono source. You'll never outgrow a 4050, if anything you'll probably buy another in the future for stereo sources.

i own the shure and the rode and have used the akg many times...here's my take on those:

Im glad my first large condenser was the NT1. I recorded everything with it when i started, vocals, acoustics, percussion, you name it. For the price, it's one of the best large condenser mics for 300 bucks (that's what i paid for it at least)

The SM7 it's mainly going to be used for vocals, and maybe bass sometimes if you don't already have another mic, but it sounds much better than the NT1 for vocals though. You should buy this eventually.

You should really stay away from the "perception" series from AKG. They don't sound anywere near the two mentioned above. They are cheap but they are not worth it.

And of course, like BLUElightCory suggested, if you CAN afford an AKG 414 you should get that instead.