need an excellent bottom snare condenser mic

Really dont spose youve got any idea which album??

Listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers...one of their albums was done completely with 57's on the kit. It doesn't sound "awful", persay...rather just lacking some balls a little bit. Plus the kit in general sounds real high-endy. As much as you could expect with nothing but 57's...

~e.a

I bought this dvd "Russ Long guide to recording" I think thats the name of it and they use all 57 on drums and a mackie board to show you can get a good sound with cheap Mic's.

Honestly came out really really good but it also helps they had an acoustically tuned drum room and a great control room with great monitors and also a great engineer/producer. So back to the main thing is there is a lot of other factors than just the Mic.

Lol 81, don't you just love that? "We're going to show you how to record a drumset and make it sound like this *insert pretty damn nice sounding kit here* with a set of $80/pop mics and a cheap mixer. Nevermind the fact that you will never have access to a room this perfect nor be able to afford these monitors. And yes, he's been doing this for 70 years, so what? Let's get started!"

That's how they should start it off. Bastids.

Mucho - no I don't...wish I could though, I remember somebody commenting on it a lllllooooooooooooooooooong time ago on this forum and I just happened to have the cd laying on my desk at the time when I read it. Popped it in and listened, it wasn't *too* bad, like I said. It fit with the mix, that's for Shure (hehe).

~e.a

yea hahahahahaha

yea when your a newb and you see those dvd's your like dam i can pull this off it looks so easy and then you mic up a junk drum set in a square room with some home stereo speakers as monitors and like dam why can't i get my drums to sound good.:erk:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- a good drum sound comes primarily from proper tuning and new heads. Of course EQ and compression are still necessary, but even a cheap kit can sound incredible with cheap mics when things are tuned right and the heads have life in them.
For anyone interested, I recently finished my best mix yet (drum-wise) of another song for my band:

www.myspace.com/7horns7eyes - "Yet You Still Choke"

I think I've finally begun to figure out that elusive "tight" kick drum sound.

If you're using carpet on your floor, try substituting with a couple of sheets of plywood & forget the bottom mic altogether.

Yeah. I usually record with a bottom snare mic (57 always), but probably 7 out of 10 times I ditch it during the mix.

There are infinitely more rock/metal records with a dynamic mic (usually a 57) on the bottom snare, or no bottom mic at all.

I'd say a 57 underneath. Same kinda reason you do on a guitar cab - you can get it right up like 1" from the snare, it has a nice compressy squishy thing to it, and won't be over harsh on the top. Then a condenser with really good transients for the attack on the top skin :)

o_O

That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Why does it make no sense? I put the 414 in figure of 8 to tighten the polar pattern and eliminate off axis pick up. as a result I got pretty much nothing else on that channel.

I tried a few things when I was setting up and this sounded best so we kept it. Simple as.