OHs / Vocals

TheBlackSheep

Dec 30, 2008
I want to buy a pair of mics for OHs and a mic for vocals. Budget = 800$ for both.

My first choises are:

Vocals
- Shure SM7b
- Shure KSM27

OH's
- Studio Projects c4's
- Rode NT5's

What do you think?

I'd go for the SM7 over the KSM27. the 27 is fine but nothing special really. the SM7 is a really great mic for a lot of stuff.

I've used the SP C4s numerous times as drum OHs and I love them. Those are good mics, and I would look for a used pair rather than buying new.

As far as vocal mics, I have an SM7b and it is a great mic, but in my experience if you don't have a really nice preamp (Great River, API, Pacifica, etc.) it doesn't sound nearly as good. Vocal mic "quality" is extremely subjective and your best bet is to audition as many as you can to find the one that gives you what you want to hear.

If you're unable to do that, or if the mic is for general purpose vocal use for anyone who comes through the door, I think safe choices would be an AT4040 or KSM32.

sE2200A is what I use for vocals.. and I've had no problems with any style.. really clean mic [imo].

As for overheads, try maybe the 4040s or something? C1000s?

What sort of sound are you looking for out of the OHs?

I have the NT5s. I think they're pretty fantastic as overheads. Not as bright as the stereotypical inexpensive SDC; very natural sounding to my ears. Quality mics for sure.

FWIW, the acoustic guitar in this clip was done with a combination of two of the mics you're asking about- the KSM27 and the NT5, the former at the bridge, the latter up near the 12th fret. Into a Focusrite Saffire Pro and a bit of compression, and IIRC a slight boost around 3k. That's it.

I like the KSM27 as a vocal mic and on guitar cabs as well. Kinda warm sounding IMO; certainly doesn't sound "cheap". (All the electric guitars on here have the KSM27 on the cab save for the solo, which is a Pod XT scratch track.)